Trim painting Questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Trim painting Questions

Hey,
My front fog light Valence (?) got broke so I bought a new one off ebay for 15.00!! The guy didnt have a picture but he told me it was gray (same color as my other ones) So I bought it! I gets to my Door and it is Black. I like black and, I figure i'd just put it on. It looked pretty good even though my other trim is gray. But, i was sitting around the other day and I want to paint my other trim pieces Black. (get them painted mabye) What would be the best way to go about this and, would I need to paint the fog light molding the same color black? I wouldnt' think that they would all match up right. A buddy of mine owns a body shop so, i'll prob. end up having him paint the pieces. Any tips on this?
Thanks,
Kendal

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

cheap/easy solution. bumper paint. i cant remember the brand name right now, but i know i got it at Autozone. will work very well on your grey trim and adheres nicely due to it has a flex agent in it. if it doesnt match the black on your airdam, then just fog it too!

hey

So this bumper trim wont fade any? I dont want to mess with it again. I want to make sure its done right the first time!
Thanks
kendal

I'de let your buddy at the body shop do it before I use a spray can. Yeah it is gonna cost more , but you said you want it done right.

body shop would definately be the best way, but the trim is not that hard to remove. i used this stuff about a year and a half ago, so far no fade, no chips, looks good. if you got the dough, then use the body shop. but, if the rattle can only lasts 2 years or so, it doesnt matter to me cuz like i said its not hard to do.

Now I'm about to do the same thing, but I'm going with the gloss white (Oxford White XY) I just ordered a new bumper from Bumpers.com that's all white and I realized that if all my black trim matched, it would look pretty cool. My neigbhor has the paint gun and all that stuff, but does anybody know what kind of primer should be used on it? They're not the big flares, just the little ones, so it's not like ABS. Any suggestions?

I repainted the bumper trim on my old 86 6000 2 years ago because the original black had gone away and also I changed the trim insert from (what used to be) chrome to black. Painted it with that bumper trim paint and when I got rid of the car it still looked decent, the front was a little pockmarked from rocks and still had the spots where I put on it on when it was waaay too hot (100+ degrees) to paint.

yea, dont let the rattle can scare you away. when done right, the stuff looks factory, and lasts a LOT longer than i ever imagined it would. just make sure you prep it properly and dont spray it in 100 degree sunlight lol:D

Ok, so James T explained the cheap way, I'll now explain the not-so-cheap way. I'm painting all my black trim white this weekend, so I went down to the paint store to find out what I would need and how I would go about doing it: (btw the priming and painting is done with a paint gun)

-Start out by cleaning all the trim pieces with light soap and warm water. Then let them dry and clean them again with BullDog Abrasive Bumper Cleaner with a cotton cloth.

-Now prime it with Bulldog Bond Flex Tie-Coat (works as a primer and primer/base coat/clear coat additive), and within 10 minutes prime it again with Du Pont Primer-Sealer (4:1 ratio with activator and then mix in 30% Bull Dog Flex Tie-Coat)

-Let this dry for about 3 hours

-Now spray two coats of basecoat paint mixed 1:1 with reducer and of course 30% Red Dog Flex Tie-Coat.

-wait about 20-40 min

-Now spray 2 or more coats of clear again mixed with 30% Bulldog Flex Tie-Coat. The more clear coats the more shiny it'll be, but don't get carried away if you're trying to match to your faded, not so shiny paint.

Ok, so I'm kinda speaking like I'm a pro, but I've never painted anything before, but this is what the folks at the paint store tell me (they weren't dicking me around, i was with my neighbor who knows all of them on a first name basis) I was able to pick all this up for $179 (and that's with a $50 friend discount) So hopefully it'll look pretty damn good, if not I'll let ya'll know so you don't actually use these tips I just left. Oh yeah, and of course I'll post plenty of pics

DasFrem, did you sand the trim down smooth or leave it with the factory "grainy" texture? ...and yea, the only bad thing about the cheap bumper paint is you can get it in any color you want as long as its black lol.

Well the trim I'm painting is just the fender flares and ground effects (well whatever that piece below the door would be called) and its all smooth already so there's no need to sand. I'm going to leave the moldings on the top and bottom of the rear bumper black but paint the metal inside white because I still tow a bunch of stuff and I didn't want the white to get all skuffed up.

Ok so I painted all the trim yesterday and so far it looks really hot. The only addition I have to the above stated procedure is that you should let the primer dry longer like 5 hours (or overnight) before applying the basecoat. Yesterday's conditions were sunny about 80 degrees and low humidity. When we started to put the base coat on the first piece, the paint did this thing where it scrunched up like spiderwebs but didn't crack, I called the paint store and they said we needed to let the primer dry longer. So I wet sanded the imperfections out and waited a few more hours to paint the rest and from there on out we had no problems whatsoever. I'm letting them dry in an empy room right now and will probally put them on the truck tuesday where I'll wet sand them with high grit sand paper and then polish and wax them
Oh yeah, I took plenty of pictures of all the steps, so I may do a write up for Rick. Plus I'll post pics as soon as all this stuff gets on.

drop off

Howdy,
I'm about to go and drop all of my trim pieces off and my grill and get it painted black. Ill get some pictures up here of before and after.
kendal

Back