Troubleshooting 0171 & 0174 Code Help | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Troubleshooting 0171 & 0174 Code Help

"Why not take the other bolt with you?" The challenge is that I only have access to this one vehicle. So, I drove the Explorer with one bolt installed and the broken stem in place on Sunday while I tracked down replacments. Unfortunately, I got a false reading from the broken bolt in the various thread guides I checked, which led me to the 1/4-20 selections. This was with the fiber gasket in place. Only the 0171 code was thrown that day. Yesterday, as I returned the incorrect 1/4-20 bolts, I was able to test the stem piece in Autozone's thread guide and definitively confirm that M6-1.0 is the correct thread spec for these bolts and that 20mm is the correct bolt length. Also, yesterday, with both bolts in place, no codes were thrown. Looks like the addition of the fiber gasket may have solved my code problem this time. So, I will watch it for a few more days to see if the codes return before proceeding further.

Thanks again for all of your feedback and advice. Much appreciated.

Back