Troubleshooting 1992 xlt foglight problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Troubleshooting 1992 xlt foglight problem

Hello:

First time poster. Hoping to get lucky in solving a problem with my 1992 Ford Explorer aftermarket fog lights. For many years, if I run the foglights and the intermitent wipers (which, of course is when you NEED the foglights :) the foglights eventually click off. I can turn off the foglights for a few minutes and they will work again. The problem becomes progressively worse. I have a lighted toggle switch for the foglights, and the foglights do not turn off with the engine nor do I get a warning chime (I add this based upon my reading of other posts). I suspect the problem is similar to this:

http://www.corral.net/tech/maintenance/foglights.html

Overheating the wires.

Anyway, just curious if there might be a quick fix. If so, I think I would like to replace the old foglights with something new and improved (any suggestions).

Thanks,

Doug

Uh, how do I "check" the relay? As in the relay may be bad? Why would the relay work fine until the wiper kick on?

I spent about 30 minutes tracing all the wires (best I could) both in the cabin and under the hood. I see where one wire comes from the toggle switch and goes through the firewall. Under the hood, I see where that one wire and another one (which I assume is the power?) get taped together and run all the way to the 30 amp relay. I see where 4 wires come out of the relay. I see what looks to be two wires to ground. I also see two wires coming from the lights (and heading toward the relay). Problem is, the wires are all taped together close to the relay, so I cannot trace a wire all the way to the relay whether it be from the foglights, cabin or assumed power source. The one wire that I assume to be power (and was probably a wire than came with the original kit) appears to tie into a harness going into the hood (power for wiper fluid?).

Anyway, should I just buy a new 30 amp relay and see if that fixes the problem?

OK, I just found a pdf on how to check a relay and something on teachertube. I am still not sure what exactly I am checking. The fog lights work. So, the rudimentary test of just hooking up a light source .. is that really going to tell me something? If I use a meter to check either voltage or Ohms, what am I looking for?

Thanks,

Doug

I put a voltmeter on the relay. Looks like you are correct. I just replaced the relay and initial tests are promising. I can run wipers, turn signals, washer fluid and chew gum all at the same time without the fog lights going off :) I just need to get out on the road and see how it performs over a longer time period.

Thanks again for the advice!

Doug

Hi Doug and welcome to the site!

Back