Truck wont start. Starter replaced... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Truck wont start. Starter replaced...

BigZoo

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ford Explorer
A few days ago, when I went to crank my vehicle, the power would die down and youd hear a loud electrical whining noise. No turning over of engine or crank. Not even a click from the starter.

I ruled out it being a battery by taking my good optima that i tested as charged and slapped it into the broken truck. Same thing. I went through the fuse box, changed some fuses, replaced the relays, same thing.

Went through the cables and found nothing out of the norm. Finally decided to just pull the starter. Exchanged my old starter at AutoZone with a new one. Installed the new starter, now the electrical whine is gone, but all you hear is the starter spinning when you try to crank the truck. It sounds like its spinning without engaging the flywheel.

Anyone else had a similar problem or could help me as to how to proceed with this issue? Just an everyday joe DIYing.

Did you check the teeth on your flywheel when you installed the new starter? Broken, or worn down teeth on the flexplate is one possibility. A broken flexplate is another.

The teeth are still there and appear to be sharp and rigid. Im not sure how to test for a broken flexplate, though.

Back