• Register Today It's free!

Truck wont start

Rusty Roof

Reaction score
City, State
Nampa, Idaho
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Ford Explorer XL
Got a real big problem. wont start. Issue started late last night. was thought to be bad battery replaced battery and bad cables. tries to start now but just cranks. it's the 4x4 with v6. Need resolved asap as this is the only vehicle for my family!
THanks in advance, George

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Got a real big problem. wont start. Issue started late last night. was thought to be bad battery replaced battery and bad cables. tries to start now but just cranks. it's the 4x4 with v6. Need resolved asap as this is the only vehicle for my family!
THanks in advance, George

no start procedure:

1. Does "THEFT" blink rapidly with ignition key in Off, On or Start?
Yes: Verify key validity
Check Passive Anti-Theft System (PATS)
No: Go to next numbered step

2. Check fuel tank gauge reading. If fuel possibly contains water or condensation from cold add treatment to the tank.

3. Turn ignition key to On
Does "CHECK ENGINE" illuminate?
Yes: Go to next numbered step
No: Perform the PCM Power Procedure

4. Turn ignition key to Start
Does starter motor crank engine?
No: Perform Starter No crank procedure

5. Does "CHECK ENGINE" illuminate while engine cranks?
Yes: Check crankshaft position (CKP) sensor
No: Go to next numbered step

6. Does fuel pump run?
No: Perform Fuel Pump Electrical Procedure

7. Check battery voltage

8. Perform TPS Test Procedure

9. Check ignition coils, plugs and wires. Some members have experienced ignition faults with Bosch platinum plugs.

10. Perform Fuel pressure test procedure

11. Check fuel injectors

12. Check compression

13. Check EGR system

14. Check engine coolant temperature (ECT) sensor if not a cold start

Thanks koda. will get started on those steps first thing tomorrow!
Also, forgot to mention that it is below freezing here and constantly drops to between 22 to 15 Fahrenheit overnight. Told it may be frozen fuel lines?

Thanks koda. will get started on those steps first thing tomorrow!
Also, forgot to mention that it is below freezing here and constantly drops to between 22 to 15 Fahrenheit overnight. Told it may be frozen fuel lines?

yeah, it's supposed to be 4 degrees F here in north Georgia tonight, so 15-22 sounds balmy. try throwing in a bottle or 2 of Heet or Dri-Gas if you think you might have ice in the fuel line. inexpensive stuff, it works and wont hurt if it's not the problem.

SO an update on my Explorer;
Battery had a bad cell-exchanged under warranty(thank the gods!)
Split the positive cable head when re-installing battery so replaced both cables.
Pulled plugs to test spark plugs-they were the poster child for recommending replacements.
While pulling plugs saw extreme corrosion and rust on boots and encountered two torn plug wires in the process. (With new plugs spark is night and day compared to old ones)
Bought a fuel filter-replaced old one was pretty shoddy.
Performed fuel pressure test-0 PSI
NEXT Step: Fuel pump? IS there anything else I'm overlooking? I can't afford a fuel pump right now
Also; what can I expect from this difficulty wise? What am I getting into as far as what to do? DO I gotta drop the fracking fuel tank?

can you hear the fuel pump click on when you just turn the key to on? kinda like a buzz noise as it primes the lines.. you can try having someone pound on the tank right below the fuel pump while you try starting to see if you get a spring unstuck.. also with the cold snap you could see if you have ice in he tank that the pump wont pick up which is why you wouldnt get any pressure.. put some treatment in and try cycling the fuel pump on and off

can you hear the fuel pump click on when you just turn the key to on? kinda like a buzz noise as it primes the lines.. you can try having someone pound on the tank right below the fuel pump while you try starting to see if you get a spring unstuck.. also with the cold snap you could see if you have ice in he tank that the pump wont pick up which is why you wouldnt get any pressure.. put some treatment in and try cycling the fuel pump on and off

I did put a full bottle of heet in the other day but yesterday and today the weather has been above freezing. had the wife crank it while I tried to hear by the fuel tank but I got nothin. I'll try hitting the bottom of that tank tomorrow to see if anything happens.

If you dont hear the pump go replace it. NM is lucky I guess. We get down to the 20's at night and up to 50 during the day. :D

So I bit the bullet and bought a new fuel pump. Praying to the gods that this fixes the no start issue. :/

I just got done doing the fuel pump on mine, The quick connect ford fuel lines wouldnt come off so i ended up having to remove my fuel sending assembly while it was still attached, not a horribly hard job just alot of hard to reach parts, dont get the plastic disconnect tool for the lines. get the metal pliers, the plastic set cant get between the fuel line and the frame

i have same issue in my explorer did the pump fix your problem? i am looking at a rollback to move it too shop, due to fact i cannot work on my vehicle where it is parked.

So I'm running into a problem. I need to know how to disconnect the filler neck and overflow from the tank. DO I need a "special tool"? Because if I do, My only vehicle will be on hold indefinitely. Getting this fixed takes top priority!
Note: appears lines are not quick connect?

Those should be worm drive clamps...get new ones! The old ones will break off if rusted.

worm drive clamps? I know of screw clamps. how does one get those off?

Yes those. A screwdriver, you are correct at least that's what was on my 97. But those pieces were so manky I just slid the screwdriver underneath and they snapped off real nice.

This is what it looks like:
1176159_10153708535355206_859884033_n.jpg

1526223_10153708535365206_997168813_n.jpg

1604843_10153708535280206_2072557547_n.jpg

This fitting is what is called a 'duck bill'. repair guides at autozone say I need a ford specific tool or can just be compressed. Going to try right now on the fittings...

Omg those look like giant fuel line fittings!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Got the new pump assembled and put into the tank. Did a quick assemble to make sure connections were secure and no fuel leaks. Test drove around the block and to the gas station for air because some tires needed it. Went back home and filled the tank with the gas I drained. Truck runs better than ever now! Thanks all for the help!

Back