true dual exhaust on a SOHC?

cantspell

Reaction score
City, State
Toronto. Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 xlt
two questions on exhuast

I know there have been a zillion posts, but i've searched, and i honestly have't found the answers to a few questions.

1. Are true duals any good for the performance of a SOHC with intake?

2. And is it feasable to hvae side either have exit exhausts, just rear of the rear wheel, cutting a hole in the sort of bumper wrap around, or a rear exit from a hole in the rear bumper, just to keep the exhaust higher off the ground? And for a little different look.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bummmmmmmp!

There is no room for a "true dual" exhaust system on a Explorer. The gas tank gets in the way. There is no company that makes dual exhaust system for the explorer. You can do custom dual system from the muffler back. Many members have done this. The pipes have to make several bends around the spare tire. It does not really offer an more power than a single 2.5" system.

We carry the Gibson Cat-Back System on our web site. It offers great power and a nice tone.

If you really want to see two pipes coming out the back, it will have to be a custom system from the muffler back. I have seen owners do a custom system throught the bumper. But a quality system like the Gibson won't have any clearance problems.

Unless you want the look, or have the extra cash, Duals do not provide an better performance that a good single exhaust. I went for the look.

true duals are basically no good on anything other than a v8, and that is only with a h or x pipe on them as they need the otehr sides pulsations to properly evacuate spent exhuast gases....

for the explorer, the best way for duals is an aftermarket muffler with 2 exits and hten custom bent pipes to exit where you want them to, i have seen this with several different exit points..... any of the actual aftermarket catback systems will give a nicer, louder, deeper tone and improve performance over stock

hey,
i'm aware that there is no 'pre-manufactured' system, i part own a custom exhuast shop, so i was thinking of bending as well. I actully wanted to have two pipes comming out on one side. I have so spare...

But alas, there is no room. So in order to have something a little different (for me and promotion) I think i may try to cut either the bumper or the lower rear area, just aft of the wheel, where the chrome plastic is.
I"m leaning towards the bumper cut out, it would still place the exhaust at the rear (i don't want to have something poking out the side) and it will keep the exhaust up, totally out of the way...we'll see. DO you think a bumper cut out is possible?

yup thats an idea... or not bumper but sheetmetal where the splashguards are with these: (give a minute for picture)

ok couldnt find the pic... will try to make one up in paintshop

many people have done the dual exit method. i did, expo5.0, 98fordx24, etc. just use a single muffler with dual out, then route the piping over the axle, and in the same location as the other side. take a look at 98fordx24s yahoo site for pictures. i think he changed his name to x24 i believe or something like that.

I used a flowmaster dual in/dual out performance SUV muffler (50 series). It is possible to run true dual exhaust. If you look under your truck you will see that there are 2 pipes going into the muffler. Some guys have put 2 flowmaster 40 series side by side on end and have a true dual setup. The way mine is setup sort of uses the muffler as a muffler and x-pipe. Check the links in my sig and you will find some pics of my setup.

I did a "true" dual exhaust method w. 2 flowmaster 40's non-delta's on my 5.0. Both of the mufflers fit side by side where the stock one goes with a little modifiacation of the heat sheild

i'm not concerned about the muffler, it's actully running the extensions from the mufflers to the ends/tips. I wanted to do two duals, exiting on one side of the truck...so that would essentially be two pipes running where the one is now, between the shock and frame i think...and there's no room.

I'm going to go ahead and but the bumper and a nice tip though the bumper...nice and high and out of the way.

Back