Trying for 12s in the 1/4 in my Mountaineer! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Trying for 12s in the 1/4 in my Mountaineer!

Best time I had last summer was a 13.45 @ 99 mph. I was running 9psi with a precision 6176 turbo. I ventilated the stock block with 3 rods in September.

I have since replaced it with a street mod 800 shortblock from MMR. I also added an air/water intercooler to it. I am currently tuning it getting ready for the track to open again in spring. It's running about 12 psi right now with more boost to come later.

Here are some pics of it.

236351.jpg

237087.jpg

252707.jpg

252706.jpg

263882.jpg

263872.jpg

266248.jpg

266249.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXDq-hMIXqQ

Here is the first shakedown pass.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rSr6p5uqLo&feature=related

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Still running the stock trans for now. A built trans and converter might be coming soon.

The track opens in a few weeks here, so I will see what it runs then.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Opening day at the track is supposed to be March 1st. I am planning on going as long as its open.

Still tweaking the tuning on it. Here is part of my last datalog on the street with about 12psi.

I was amazed with the intake temps under boost. Ambient temperature was about 40* on this. I have backed the timing down a few degrees since this.

Hopefully one of you tuning guys can take a look at this.

http://users.rcn.com/phantasm69/mountylog1.html

Opening day at the track is supposed to be March 1st. I am planning on going as long as its open.

Still tweaking the tuning on it. Here is part of my last datalog on the street with about 12psi.

I was amazed with the intake temps under boost. Ambient temperature was about 40* on this. I have backed the timing down a few degrees since this.

Hopefully one of you tuning guys can take a look at this.

http://users.rcn.com/phantasm69/mountylog1.html

That wasn't a long datalog. If you are tuning and logging with SCT software just do your WOT pulls while datalogging and post the datalog files themselves rather than spreadsheets. Make sure to log something that shows throttle position, and/or something that shows when you go open loop fueling such as an open loop flag or your STFT's to locking out once open loop. Also what AFR are you commanding at WOT?

I was more concerned with the intake temp on that short one. I just wanted to see what they were at.

I will get a better datalog for you to look at with the STFT and TP logged as well. I'm commanding 11.8 for the A/F (.806)

This is gibberish:confused: I get the basics of what you are talking about, but if I ever get a programmer that data logs, I will be sure to give you a shout rocket since I know you mess with this quite a bit. Is the Ex still on the backburner since you now have the G8?

how much $ do u have in that thing man ??!!!!

I was about to say you were leaning out up top until I noticed I was looking at the "time" column. ;(

So the ACT is increasing 22 degrees from ambient. Most don't start pulling timing until around 120 ACT so you're looking okay there. Were you amazed for it not increasing to much or increasing too much?

If you copied the MBT table to the border line knock, I would only do that for loads beneath .8.

Yes, STFT and LTFT. The STFT just to see how far they're reading from the wideband and the LTFT to see if there's any corrections going on that we need to know about.

This is gibberish:confused: I get the basics of what you are talking about, but if I ever get a programmer that data logs, I will be sure to give you a shout rocket since I know you mess with this quite a bit. Is the Ex still on the backburner since you now have the G8?

X is on back burner due to geographic location now... It will be on hold for a while until I can get back to IL to actually work on it. Being active duty has its benefits and downfalls. :)

Anyways, back on topic. I would like to see a full WOT pull on that truck done from just off idle to 6,000 rpm. To get better consistency make sure you do a short 1st to 2nd gear burst to put some heat into the turbo. Then slow down and make your full pull in the proper gear.

I did a pull like that this morning and I don't like what I see. It's coming out of open loop during the shifts and leaning out bigtime. That doesn't seem right to me.

I'm going to try to force open loop and see what it does then. When it was actually in open loop, it was close to my commanded A/F. The very top end looks like it needs 3-4% more fuel added.

I launched it on the footbrake at about 3300 RPM with 6-7 psi. I ran it through 1st, 2nd, and most of third gear. I'm also not so sure my meth injection was spraying this morning. That's another issue I have been fighting with.

Oops, I said IAC and meant ACT. I'm curious what's causing it to go back to closed loop during shifts - do you have that datalog? I don't see how that could happen unless your foot is somehow coming of the throttle between shifts. What is the TP for WOT?

Also, where is the ACT being read at?

Not yet, but a 13.1 last time at the track.

I'm dealing with some problems with it right now, so no going to the track. Once I figure out what is wrong with it, there will be more 1/4 mile runs.

nice build

Even with 33x12.50x15 BFG All Terrains I am running in the 12's. We were talking 0-60 right?

Awesome Mounty!!!! I like the custom fabrication. Subscribing to this post to see any upgrades etc.

Hey Guys,

Sorry for resurrecting this old thread, but I'm in the middle of a turbo v8 build in my 04 Explorer and I was looking for some pics of Mounty03's setup but it looks like the link is broken. Can anyone help with these pics?

Thanks

I can get pics of whatever you want. Just let me know what you need.

I'm away from home this weekend at an all Ford show, but next week I could help.

After that you will have to wait a couple more weeks.

I tried digging your old thread up at the turbo mustangs forum and couldn't find it - was going to link to it.

Back