Tube sizes, thicknesses and specs for fabbing | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tube sizes, thicknesses and specs for fabbing

ld50

Oh, the money you`ll blow
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
British Columbia
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 4 dr 4x4 manual XL.
I thought I would ask.

What is the best tube to use for fabbing bumpers and/or cages?
Obviously one would want the most strength with the least weight.

What are good methods for welding this stuff?
If I only had access to an arc welder, can it be done that way, or is wire feed type tig or mig or whatever they`re called the only thing that should be used?

I`m pretty good with an arc welder and have access to one, but I don`t do so well with thin metal. Arc welding seems more aimed at welding the thicker stuff, so I`m worried if I try and weld up my own bumper that way I`m going to have problems.

-thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

1 3/4 .120wall DOM tubing is pretty much the standard for cages. You could go with 1.5 just as easily. The crackerbox will weld it just fine.

I`m wondering if I should make some bumpers, or more to the point I want a rear one with a reciever on it. I just thought it would be good to have some info here related to the task.

I don`t think I`ll make you one either :smoke:

I was drawing some rough sketches and ideas out, I really don`t know how I would design it at this point, I just might put it in someone elses hands, I dunno..

LOL,
I need to come visit you guys on that one thread I tried to follow for a while.

Somebody needs to build me some, but I am still sitting here with a vague visual of what they may look like. The concept of trying to actually design them and have them built is,...well ...not very clear :confused:

Now the rock bars are necessity, and I am still curious what size of tubing is typically used?

I will be using 2" .120 DOM for my cage/bumpers/sliders. I really like 1 3/4" for saving a little weight (and it'll hold about as good as 2") but the rules are changing for NHRA and local racers to require all 2". Don't ask me why, I don't know; just know that all the local racers are pissed about changing their cages. Just a little useless trivia.

TIG is the idea welder for cages because how clean it is, though I'll be using MIG because that's what I have and my interior will be gutted completely before the cage/paint install anyway. ARC will work just fine, though you will be spending more time cleaning up your welds and splatter is all. Good luck to you and post pics!

Back