Tune Up Ideas and Recomendations

pkupman

Reaction score
City, State
Olathe, Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
Howdy,
My fiance has a '94 XLT that is due for a tune up. I have never worked on one of these, so anything to watch out for, any thing that is hard, pain in the but, etc, would be great to know in advance. Also, what are thing on these rigs that need changed? Plugs, wires.....
Thanks for the help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...Welcome here...:D

...If you search you will find all kinds of info as to what plugs, wires, etc..If it is an auto I would say be sure to change the tranny fluid and filter...;)

...Btw, is this a 4x2 or 4x4???

...Here is a link for maintenance if that helps...
http://www.explorerforum.com/Singleton/web/pages/service.html

Depends on how long since the last tune up as to how much needs to be done. Possibilities are: plugs, wires, air filter, oil & filter, tranny fluid, rear diff. fluid, coolant flush, clean the MAF. . .
The passenger side plugs are a PITA. Easiest way to get to them is through the wheel well. Use tons of PB Blaster on the spark plugs. They are probably pretty rusty and you don't want to break one off in the block.

Just make sure you stay with Motorcraft plugs...other brands, especially the Bosch four-prong, can cause pinging.:usa:

If you are doing the plugs, I'd do the wires as well if you don't know how old they are. Also, put anti-seize on the new plugs before you put them in and dielectric on the wires.

Back