tuning my amp

98EB5.0

Reaction score
City, State
spring hill, florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 eb
hey guys

my subs sound a little off. ever since i took out my amps and subs and rewired the amp. i took my 1 am and 2 12's out and put them in my vette so right now im running 1 rockford 900 mono amp and 2 power acustiks. now before i took it out it slamed just with the 2 going but now it seems a little off.

heres what i did

made a box my my amp with 5 fans yes overkill but still so i just moved my amp from under my seat to the back in the box thats it.

i have my gain all the way up i dont know what to set my crossover on my amp at. on my h/u i have bass at 2/7 treb 7/7 and loud on. and 12+db boost on the amp

the subs are in a sealed box 1.4 c. also i have a bandpass box what would be better

any ideas on what to do
thanks for the help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you should never have your gain all the way up....pull the subs out of the sealed box and get a ported and try that....

1. turn the gain down and turn the boost on the amp down. these are not volume controls.

For rough amp tuning, find out what the output voltage on your HU/pre-amp is. if it's not and upper end unit, it will probably be about 1.8 volts. This is roughly where you will set your gain on your amp. The db boost is for tweaking unless you are competing, your initial random settings are a great way to blow your subs. Use your radio tone controls for tweaking as well until your satisfied with the sound.

One thing that you might want to check is if your subs are wired in or out of phase with each other if you wired them in parallel configuration, i.e. both positives are together and both negatives are together. If backwards, then no bass.

The best and only correct way to tune or match an amplifier to a HU is to do the following.
1.) Turn the gain on you amplifiers ALL THE WAY DOWN.
2.) With the gains all the way down, turn the volume up on the headunit as far as it will allow with no distortion. Hopefully you own a decent headunit with enough quality preamp voltage to allow full volume.
3.) Slowly turn the gain up on your amplifier until you start to hear distortion and back it down until the distortion is gone.

This provides maximum signal to noise ratio to the amplifier and the higher voltage signal helps to eliviate unwanted noise. As it has been stated before, amplifier gains are NOT volume controls and if improperly adjusted, can make a good setup sound like poo.

Back