Turboboost on 2.0 Explorer needs to be replaced (underboost) | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's possible whatever happened to the turbo may have caused damage to the catalytic converter.
From what I've seen on this forum, it's not common.
Probably about as common as turbo failure on a Chevy.
My cat seems fine. Now, if you have an oil seal leak in your turbo that will do 2 things 1, ruin the turbo, and 2 spew burned and to be burned oil into the cat and ruin it.

Has anyone else had problems with the turbobooster in Ford Explorers. I have a 2013 with 62,000 miles (so out of warrenty naturally). The warning light has come on intermittently, and we have been told they hear a rattle in the turboboost and the wastegate is broken. They said they must replace the turboboost. Now here's the real kicker, Ford does not have the parts in stock, and we have been told the vehicle is not driveable. The part will not be available for at least a month, until September, and the dealership has not offered us a loaner car. Anyone else having issues like this?
Turboboost on 2.0 Explorer needs to be replaced (underboost)

Has anyone else had problems with the turbobooster in Ford Explorers. I have a 2013 with 62,000 miles (so out of warrenty naturally). The warning light has come on intermittently, and we have been told they hear a rattle in the turboboost and the wastegate is broken. They said they must replace the turboboost. Now here's the real kicker, Ford does not have the parts in stock, and we have been told the vehicle is not driveable. The part will not be available for at least a month, until September, and the dealership has not offered us a loaner car. Anyone else having issues like this?
We also have a 2013 Explorer Ecoboost (now 83000 miles). Last year and a half check engine light came on 2-3 times. Took to Firestone; they said fault codes of "low turbo output" and "low battery output". Replaced battery but check engine light stayed on. Took to Ford but would be 2-3 days before they could look at it, (was still driving fine but did have low/sluggish power one time). Took to Goodyear and they also showed low turbo output but were able to reset the check engine light. Was good for a few months and came back on; took to Goodyear and checked it again; said it was probably turbo waste gate and may have to replace turbo; but were able to reset the check light again. Last week check engine light came on again; back to Goodyear and they replaced the turbo with just a two day turn-around. Out the door price $2032.00.

Welcome to the Forum Alan.:wave:
Hopefully, they used genuine Ford parts. If they did, then parts/labour are warrantied for 2 years.

Peter

I got a 2.0 liter Ecoboost 80k miles and the turbo is shot. Just ordered a new one and all related gaskets from the dealer and going to change my self. Just curious if anyone has any tips or tricks to look out for?
Hello, I am having the same issue and really struggling here. Loss of power, no apparent leaks anywhere on cold side. But this almighty P0299 is killing me... How did replacing the turbo help your issue. Did that make everything back to normal...
Thanks in Advance,
Frustrated in Ft.Myers Fl..

Hello, I am having the same issue and really struggling here. Loss of power, no apparent leaks anywhere on cold side. But this almighty P0299 is killing me... How did replacing the turbo help your issue. Did that make everything back to normal...
Thanks in Advance,
Frustrated in Ft.Myers Fl..
The member you quoted hasn't been seen here since July 18, 2017 so I doubt you'll get a reply.

Peter

The member you quoted hasn't been seen here since July 18, 2017 so I doubt you'll get a reply.

Peter
We meet again Ol'Chap.....

Ya, I pretty much figured that...lol

But On the other hand after endless hours of looking and searching and digging around online and checking codes and taking readings measurements in flow charts Believe it or not the whole issue was because I was below or low on oil......

Left me flabbergasted to say the least......

Thanks Pete

Same Deal Here.... I replied way down the line. But wanted to reply to your post. I have a 2012, and same Code... After endless hours of troubleshooting and pulling my hair out looking for this hugh major problem, it turns out I was very low on oil..... I had my oil done 2 weeks ago at Jiffylube (waste of time an money) The AssBag that changed my oil used 10W30.... So, The turbo/motor cooked that oil up real quickly....
Won't make that mistake again

Same Deal Here.... I replied way down the line. But wanted to reply to your post. I have a 2012, and same Code... After endless hours of troubleshooting and pulling my hair out looking for this hugh major problem, it turns out I was very low on oil..... I had my oil done 2 weeks ago at Jiffylube (waste of time an money) The AssBag that changed my oil used 10W30.... So, The turbo/motor cooked that oil up real quickly....
Won't make that mistake again
Have you replaced the turbo yet

I have not seen a post on here yet about a turbo needing to be replaced as of yet. Have you contacted Ford to request assistance? Your powertrain I believe is 5yr/60,000 miles so you are only 2,000 miles outside of warranty. The warranty unfortunately is black and white.. 5yr or 60k... you are out of warranty so they do not owe you anything. I would not expect any dealer to offer a loaner being this is a customer pay repair.

However as I suggested, I would still contact Ford and state your case. Not sure if you will get anywhere or not.. and they do offer ESP plans for vehicles which obviously you did not purchase.

Good luck!
ABSOLUTELY........

I've got a 2012 Explorer with 61,000 miles. I've been throwing a P0299. Low boost.... I personally pin pointed and tested just about every sensor regarding the turbo aspect. Unfortunately All sensors are with in tolerance.
Soooooooo..
For me, As I'm driving mine still basically have no power. At times I can't get over 60, or it revs all the way to 6K, and we are barley moving. I'll reset the code with my scanner, cycle the car on and off, and it's some what better, but problem still exist.

I took my truck to Ford also. I had to wait 3 weeks for an appointment. But after doing everything I've did to troubleshoot, I figured I would take to for and for 150 bucks they will diagnose the truck.
2 days later I get a call....

TURBO IS SHOT... F'ing Wonderful.....
Next Awesome remark from my service representative was, I added an additional 200 dollars on there just incase we missed something, Buy it gonna run you about 7100.00......
What The &$&#^@%#^$&$*$**##*!!!!!!!!!
After I picked my jaw back up from the floor and started questioning the tech and his responce as to what is needed. They listed just the turbo at 2600.00
And another 1100.00 for the cat in the downpipe (I was going to gut it out myself previously to help with flow, but..)
So I told her, May, I'm not Trying to be rude or inconsiderate in any way. But I do not need all of the Bells and whistles that are listed on my repair bill. I don't need to sink upgrade I don't need all the software tidbits I don't need that downpipe. Can you please reference with the mechanic what is actually a necessity and get back with me please and she came back with an estimate of $4200...

So one thing I found interesting was they "d the whole thing at 10 hours labour. Now I know there's got to be a rebuild kit available somewhere that we can purchase and do on our own. The only thing that I'm having a doubt about is if this rebuilt kit that I have not looked into yet, does it come with components to fix the waistcoach? They told me as well that the waist Gauge in my Turbo was bad also. All of the research I've done online and everything I've watched on YouTube explains pretty much the same thing.

So I'm thinking either I'm going to find a rebuild kit and do it myself or I will have to go purchase a remanufactured Turbo from somewhere for God only knows how much. And do it by myself on my back in the driveway. Which will suck monkey balls. Oh off. Oh also what they told me at Ford was they do not make the model or version Turbo that is on our 2012 2013 explorers. They were going to put the newer version Turbo onMy Explorer and have to do the new downpipe because the flange needs to match the new Turbo not the old. I can take a screenshot of my estimate from Ford and maybe you can compare that with yours. I hope that helps. Let me know if you need any more info...

I was using voice to text for the majority of this response. If something's misspelled right please forgive me as I'm driving....

Thanks, Cole

About six months ago I got a check engine light and lost a lot of power. Checked the code and it gave me "Turbo under boost" as well as a "Waste Gate over pressure" code. I took it to the dealer and they told me the waste gate was malfunctioning and since it was only available wit the turbo, the turbo had to be replaced as well. At this point the turbo did have slight whine to it than normal. I could not afford the $3k dollars the dealer wanted to replace the turbo so I took it home and did more research on what could have caused the waste gate to not work. I talked to some techs at a local dealer and found out that ford had a service bulletin for the waste gate solenoid to be changed if the waste gate was not working. It was fairly inexpensive ($30) so I bought it and changed it myself. I believe that fixed the waste gate because the check engine light went off and the power returned. However the turbo still had a whine and over time it got louder and louder. As well as it began leaking a small amount of oil. So about two weeks ago my wife was driving it and it completely lost power and started blowing white smoke out the exhaust. I loosened the cool side hose clamp and got some oily residue mixed with coolant. So I ordered the turbo from an Autonation dealer for about 40% less than my local dealer, it was backordered for about two weeks but shipped Monday and I should be changing it this weekend.
Oh wow......

Do u happen to have the part number on that solinoid???

Please by all means post yp some pics and what not. I'm Super curious as to how your install went and what actually made it pop....

Thanks

Have you replaced the turbo yet
No not yet...
I'm actually still driving it. It ironic actually but as I sat back and thought about it, roughly 2 months ago I started feeling a difference in power, and I just shrugged it off thinking it was my new rims an tires (24x10 Big Nasty's).
And gradually it's gotten worse and worse up untill this point.
I'm actually very discouraged in general with the truck. Upon my wife getting the new car, and me getting the old "Hand-Me- Down" Special... (which I most definitely did not mind. This explorer was owned by an older gentleman who drove the car to the golf coarse, church and publix once a week). We purchased the explorer in January of 2016 with 9700 miles on it. And it's a limited, with basically every option known to man, Except the most important one...." The 3.5L Twin Turbo Option".... (*******s)

I don't know what I'm going to do. I'm really struggling with this bc I have just recently dumped about 5k into it. I've had alot of issues this past year.
* My water pump locked up on me. Did some Holy **** damage to the inside thermostat housing on the block side. Not Good by any means, but not that bad to where It's not safe.
* AC took a Sh!+^#&$ on me (compressor and the ..... can't think of the name at the moment.... when u go from air coming out from the vents, then change desired output to defrost or to the floor. That unit also had to be replaced. This is gonna drive me crazy.......
* Frt passenger caliper locked up. That was fun going around the round about...
* I'm on my 2nd rear motor mount. (That's That's fun one)
* Has some issues with down shifting and taking off after a low speed down shift. Felt like it was stuck in 2nd gear upon taking off. They made some adjustments in forscan, which seems to work.
* put a set of H&R Springs on there (in lieu of the rims)
* Replaced all the mids and Highs with Infinity Kappa spkrs
* removed stock amp and added 3 amps to power my mids/highs
* Had to buy a Maestro " aFO2" from iDataLink
* Bought the Rockford DSR1 DSP (HOLY SH!+t that made a Oh My LORD Difference"
* HID HIGH/LOW Bean headlights (already had HID low stock, but not High)
* HID H11 Matching Fog Lights (Talk about blinding a Bieatch...lol)

I'm leaving out a couple things, but I don't wanna ramble...lol

And Basically BC of all of this I really DO NOT wanna trade this in for a new one. I SERIOUSLY LOVE the 2011-2013 Explorers Everything. The Body shape and contour, and everything else that comes along with it.
The only thing I personally regret is getting this 2.0 eco boost **** bomb.... There is NOT, 1 single PROFORMANCE MOD, CHIP, ITEM, PLACSNTA, GOKBER, ANYTHING that can be dome to upgrade the power in these SUVS.....
EXCEPT for adding the catch can kit to this, WHICH I HIGHLY.......HIGHLY.... RECOME.D......
I only wish I would had know that then, and had her not buy this 2.0 4 cylinder EXPO....

This is my first and probably last Ford Explorer. Next week I’m taking my 2013 Explorer back in to get the turbo changed for the 3rd time in 5 months, and on the last visit a month ago when they replaced the turbo and all related parts, they replace my motor mounts (which I thought was odd).
What did you end up spending? Any solution?

I don't believe there would be any charges for the 2nd and 3rd times since Motorcraft parts and labour are warrantied for 2 years. Charges probably applied to the first time.

Peter

Back