Tweecer Tuning my 96 SLL4... need some pointers | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tweecer Tuning my 96 SLL4... need some pointers

1997XLTRollover

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 AWD 5.0
Hey all,

I'm looking to play around with my 96 5.0 AWD a bit. I want to turn off the EVAP system to get rid of my check engine light (I'm sick of trying to fix this system and it's making my truck run rough). I also want to change some shift points and maybe stiffin up some shifts. Maybe change fueling if it needs it too. So nothing crazy. I have a tweecer sitting in a box collecting dust, so figured I would just do it this way. Does anyone know of any free software that can be used? I heard calcon/caledit won't work on EEC-V stuff.

PS - I'm a total tuning noob and anything I did know, I forgot 10 years ago.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey all,

I'm looking to play around with my 96 5.0 AWD a bit. I want to turn off the EVAP system to get rid of my check engine light (I'm sick of trying to fix this system and it's making my truck run rough). I also want to change some shift points and maybe stiffin up some shifts. Maybe change fueling if it needs it too. So nothing crazy. I have a tweecer sitting in a box collecting dust, so figured I would just do it this way. Does anyone know of any free software that can be used? I heard calcon/caledit won't work on EEC-V stuff.

PS - I'm a total tuning noob and anything I did know, I forgot 10 years ago.

I TweeC

Go to the web site and see if your EEC is supported: The TwEECer -- Ford EEC user programmable module If it is, all the support software is there to be downloaded.

If it is the same strategy as mine run we can share, either way I can help.

1587399991173.png

I TweeC

Go to the web site and see if your EEC is supported: The TwEECer -- Ford EEC user programmable module If it is, all the support software is there to be downloaded.

If it is the same strategy as mine run we can share, either way I can help.
Looks like it's there. Guessing yours is a different strategy though as I think you have a 2000 if I remember correctly?

Yup, my strategy is different, but I have tuned several Fords, three different transmissions now................. You can download the Tweecer manual to get started. You'll need to download Caledit to tune with and need to go through some basic steps to get it up and running with your strategy and bank count.

I can bring-up the same strategy and see what is used for the tranny The fueling is good on these unless you have considerable power adders.

Here is my 1-2 shift timing. The solid line is used the dashed line is the old schedule. I gets you more rpms to get up to speed a little better. I made it downshift sooner and I also firmed-up the shift by adding line pressure.
trans-12.jpg

Back