Tweeter install to move sound stage up? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tweeter install to move sound stage up?

Splint333

Reaction score
City, State
Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XLT
I was thinking about installling tweeters in my A pillars or somewhere up kinda high to bring my soundstage up. I have four Infinity Kappa componet doorspeakers with the tweeters pointed up in the middles but you can definately tell all the sound is coming from below you. I was wondering the best way to bring the sound up is from anyone who has tried this before. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just installed my rockford tweets and it made a WORLD of difference...sounds so much better here's where i put mine

untitled.jpg

A-pillars works very well. Use some clay or 2-sided tape to test your angles before mounting, but I've had real good experiences with aiming them into the center of the windshield. Start there (your tweeters and listening preferences will determine what's correct).

That looks like a pretty nice install! I like the way they look in the doors. I"ll probably try different things. Thanks for the input!

In my Paseo, I have Infinity Kappa components for the fronts. At one time, I mounted the tweeters in the lower A pillars, and pointed them toward the head area of the corresponding seats. Never sound "right", even with changing the aim of the tweeters to other areas. I eventually mounted them right next to the woofer, and pointed them to hit each other at a point above the gearshift. Front stage sounded ALOT better...

i put some in my doors, parralell with the side view mirrors, pointing towards the back of the truck....they sound good...they werent drowned out at all....but its all in what you like and what sounds good to you becuase im practically deaf haha.

I prefer having the tweeter as close to the midrange as possible, and both as far away (forward) from the listener as possible. This is why kick panels win a lot of competitions. If you aim correctly, and have the ability to adjust time alignment and phase, then you can get it to sound great, even at or near the factory location. I don't like having the tweet isolated from the mid, and honestly, when mounted so high and close to the ears, they have a tendency to rip your head off with treble. A lot of folks like that, I guess.

In my ride, if you close your eyes, the sound comes from the top of the dash, and you cannot pinpoint where each individual speaker's sound is coming from. I don't think I would ever move mine to the A-pillars, personally.

I prefer having the tweeter as close to the midrange as possible, and both as far away (forward) from the listener as possible. This is why kick panels win a lot of competitions. If you aim correctly, and have the ability to adjust time alignment and phase, then you can get it to sound great, even at or near the factory location. I don't like having the tweet isolated from the mid, and honestly, when mounted so high and close to the ears, they have a tendency to rip your head off with treble. A lot of folks like that, I guess.

In my ride, if you close your eyes, the sound comes from the top of the dash, and you cannot pinpoint where each individual speaker's sound is coming from. I don't think I would ever move mine to the A-pillars, personally.

That's precisely why I like mine aimed into the windshield. It tones them down a bit, and the stage stays nice and wide. You do have to be careful of phasing, but that can be an issue even coaxially mounted, depending on the install. Lots of trial and error.

Back