• Register Today It's free!

sound stage in the first gen

tweakedlogic

Reaction score
City, State
memphis, tn
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT
I have completed my install of one DVC orion XTR, a 4x150 (real power) lanzar optidrive, polk 5 1/4" mids in rear doors and a component set of quarts up front. The quarts are 5 1/4" mids in the doors, installed on a plywood plate over the OE hole. And the tweeters are fireing somewhat toward the windsheild in pilar corners.
My problem is the stage is awfull. vocals are centered on the left for the driver, and the right for the passenger. Stage elevation is okay but could be better.
I think I need to play with tweeter location, but where to put them? I was thinking of cutting wholes in the dash and having them fire up, flush mounted.
did anybody achieve a good sound stage?
By the way I'm hitting 123 dB c-weighted before distortion. anyadvice to get that better would be good too.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You should get some custom or Q-Logic kickpanels for the components.

more db's: more subs, more amp power, ported box/different tuning.....
more stage clarity: some ppl have put tweets in the door panels, flushed up high aimed at you. Or like you said in the dash aimed at windshield, will make them hella efficient.

tweakedlogic said:
I was thinking of cutting holes in the dash and having them fire up, flush mounted.
did anybody achieve a good sound stage?
Mike 92 XLT did that with the tweeters on his first-gen Explorer (back when he still had an Explorer) and I think that he was pretty darned happy with how it sounded. Do a search for him and send him a PM or an e-mail and I'll betcha he'd be glad to tell you how it worked out for him. If you can't find him on this board, look for him as Malibu over at http://autopia.org/ (detailing site).

Just an F.Y.I., my front seat tweeters are located at the tops of the door panels and sound pretty good there. Also, aldive located his by using two-sided tape and sticking them in different locations until he found the sound that he wanted. Once he figured out where he liked them, he permanently mounted them.

Good luck.

My system "sounds" great. It's just that the sound stage has no presense of being there. You know what I mean? I want vocals dead center, like they are singing on my hood. then the other instruments should have there own place on the stage. If I'm listening to BB, he doesn't need to sound like he's standing next to my tire.
Thanks Gimp. I'll see if I can contact Mike. I kinda tried my tweeters there with double tape but it didn't work well for my taste and tweeters. They seemed way too close to my ear.

Back