Twin Turbo V6 3.5L Ecoboost vs N.A. 3.5L V6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Twin Turbo V6 3.5L Ecoboost vs N.A. 3.5L V6

mgmgmg

Reaction score
City, State
Plymouth, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 LTD '10 LTD V8
Hello all, My older brother is going to buy 2016 platinum with 3.5L V6 Ecoboost. Is this a good idea to buy a Ecoboost engine? Or should get 3.5L vct is that a Ecoboost engine also? Any thoughts. I'm just not that knowledgeable with ecoboost......

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The Platinum only comes with the 3.5L V6 Ecoboost, just like the Sport. There is no other engine for them. The regular 3.5L V6 is not an Ecoboost. It is what they call a normally aspirated engine. In other words a regular V6. The Ecoboost is a more powerful engine, 365 HP vs 290 HP.
I also edited the thread title.

Peter

3.5 Ecoboost all the way. As Peter states, Sport or Platinum are your trim options for that engine. I like my 14 Sport and the engine option is the only reason I even considered the Explorer.

There really isn't even a debate in my mind. The only arguments that could really be made for the regular V6 is gas mileage and a proven history of durability, but even there I think the EcoBoost trucks are starting to build a reputation for durability.

The 3.5 EcoBoost is the only reason I even looked to the Explorer. I was 100% sure I was buying a Jeep GC Overland until I drove my dad's EcoBoost F-150. After driving that truck I immediately looked to see if they offered the 3.5 EcoBoost in an SUV. After driving the Explorer Sport, I was hooked. Tons of power and plenty of aftermarket support. I'm averaging 19.6 MPG in DC, MD, VA traffic conditions.

I would like to add that in time, carbon build up may pose an issue with the 3.5L EB.
I have found evidence of crank case blowby vapor oil in the PCV tubing and oil sludge in the CAC tubing.

There really isn't even a debate in my mind. The only arguments that could really be made for the regular V6 is gas mileage and a proven history of durability, but even there I think the EcoBoost trucks are starting to build a reputation for durability.

The 3.5 EcoBoost is the only reason I even looked to the Explorer. I was 100% sure I was buying a Jeep GC Overland until I drove my dad's EcoBoost F-150. After driving that truck I immediately looked to see if they offered the 3.5 EcoBoost in an SUV. After driving the Explorer Sport, I was hooked. Tons of power and plenty of aftermarket support. I'm averaging 19.6 MPG in DC, MD, VA traffic conditions.

how are u getting 19.6 mpg? u using 93 octane? u drivin it like a granny? (just kidding)

def buy the twin turbo 365 HP. Not even close!

it is a blast to drive.

how are u getting 19.6 mpg? u using 93 octane? u drivin it like a granny? (just kidding)

Haha no actually I would say I am pretty rough on my vehicles. I would say usually at least 1 WOT pull everytime I drive the truck. Probably hit over 100mph a couple times a month. I've hit the stock limiter on the truck. I have done a couple long road trips whoch have probably helped pull it up a bit. It was around 18.5mpg until it broke in. After 5k miles it started to climb. I'm at 18k miles in 9 months.

All this on 87 octane btw! Truck runs just fine on 87. I've run a handfull of 93 tanks through the truck, but at over 60 cents more a gallon I feel no difference in every day driving.

Haha no actually I would say I am pretty rough on my vehicles. I would say usually at least 1 WOT pull everytime I drive the truck. Probably hit over 100mph a couple times a month. I've hit the stock limiter on the truck. I have done a couple long road trips whoch have probably helped pull it up a bit. It was around 18.5mpg until it broke in. After 5k miles it started to climb. I'm at 18k miles in 9 months.

All this on 87 octane btw! Truck runs just fine on 87. I've run a handfull of 93 tanks through the truck, but at over 60 cents more a gallon I feel no difference in every day driving.

You're definitely being conservative, as I average 16mpg (calculated at the pumps) with the occasional WOT, but do love getting to 80mph when enterting the freeway and maintaining that speed.

I probably do a little more highway mileage than the normal driver. Typical commute is 20ish miles probably the first 5 on side roads/traffic then the highway with traffic for the rest. I'll take a picture of the screen if anyone is interested in comparing. MPG and average MPH might help. I've never been considered a conservative driver before, haha I must be getting old!

I even did the Fuelly app for a while and it was averaging 19.3-19.5mpg over the couple months I was using it.

I typically cruise between 75-85 on the highway when there isn't traffic. I am in the MD/DC/VA area though, so traffic is constant.

I would like to add that in time, carbon build up may pose an issue with the 3.5L EB.
I have found evidence of crank case blowby vapor oil in the PCV tubing and oil sludge in the CAC tubing.

Could carbon build up like this cause engine issues such as whining and just it not sounding normal? That's my issue that no one can find a cure fore and my powertrain is up in 9K so i am a bit nervous with the noises coming from my engine and how they are now changing/getting worse.

Power is still there so no issue there

Could carbon build up like this cause engine issues such as whining and just it not sounding normal? That's my issue that no one can find a cure fore and my powertrain is up in 9K so i am a bit nervous with the noises coming from my engine and how they are now changing/getting worse.

Power is still there so no issue there

Our DI engines, in general, produces unappealing sounds...lol
I don't beleive it is a major impact for abnormal noises, as the carbon build up is genreally on the back of the intake valves.

LOL...yeah, the variable valve timing set up on my 2005 Cadillac STS with the Northstar V8 can make some pretty disturbing sounds that are completely normal.

Anyone have any in-depth write ups, articles on the 3.5L Ecoboost that is in the Explorer. I have seen a few on the F150, although that engine has different hp and torque specs than the engine in the Explorer.

Pdfs, articles, any reviews specific to the engine. Not really looking for a 'test drive' as much as an indepth analysis on the actual engine.

No doubt about it! Get the Twin Turbo! Very fun to drive. I hit 100MPH+ every day! Better to have the power and not need it than need the power but don't have it...

Back