Tyre pressures. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tyre pressures.

mossy6

Reaction score
City, State
england
Year, Model & Trim Level
hi im a new member living in england i have a 1998 explorer wich i tow a large caravan with my explorer is fitted with 265/70/16 tires can anyone advise me what pressures to run the vehicle on thanks:salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hi thanks for your help would that be with a caravan on the back or just solo motoring?

thanks howard must look for a owners handbook

but that is an oversized tire so the handbook would not be correct

Hi Mossy and welcome.
Where r u and whats your colour/spec?

255/70/16 is the standard size for a UK spec Explorer. I run 33 psi for general running about [ although standard recommended pressure is 31psi]. When towing I pump the rears to about 36psi, although the manual dosen't say you have to.
I tried having all the tyres at 40 psi, to see if I could get better fuel economy.
It just made the ride very harsh and dangerous in the wet!!!

Sorry to hijack the thread, but does that mean 265/70/16s fit straight on? Just I need a set of four tyres as I'm still on firestones on the rear and have slicks on the front! Was after some mud terrains or all terrains for off roading and it seems that 265s are a lot cheaper and more widely available than 255s.

i just go by the max tyre pressures by reading it on the tyre walls, i got 4 different brands but all state 35 psi is the max, i also run all at 33 psi

thanks howard must look for a owners handbook

I have an electronic version in pdf if anyone wants it just PM me your e mail addy, also run mine at 32 psi front and 34 psi rear works for me.

Hi All,
Living in Australia, reducing tire pressure for sand driving is second nature. I am considering buying a new set of A/T and I looked up the manual only to find it does not recommend reducing tire pressures. Can someone explain their reasoning, apparently it has something to do with the auto selection of 4WD

Back