U-Haul not renting trailers to 5th gen Explorers? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

U-Haul not renting trailers to 5th gen Explorers?

Jimmy-B

Reaction score
City, State
Falls Church, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer Limited
I need to transport my Charger out to my bodywork guy in WV. First thought was to rent a car trailer from U-Haul but a bit of googling tells me they won't rent if the tow vehicle is an Explorer - even a 5th Gen.

??!!

Hopefully Penske won't be so ridiculous ... :roll:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Peneske won't, U-haul just has an issue with Ford and decided to take it out on the explorers.

I need to transport my Charger out to my bodywork guy in WV. First thought was to rent a car trailer from U-Haul but a bit of googling tells me they won't rent if the tow vehicle is an Explorer - even a 5th Gen.

??!!

Hopefully Penske won't be so ridiculous ... :roll:
You are correct about U-Haul. I verified it also with a local dealer. This was discussed on this Forum about a year ago as well.

Peter

Penske won't rent me a trailer unless I hire the tow vehicle as well :mad:

Hire the tow vehicle?
Did you mean wire?

Nope, hire as in rent.

Dear JimmyB

Thank you for your recent inquiry. Penske does not rent our towing
equipment unless you rent our truck as well. They cannot be rented to
be towed with your vehicle. Thanks for your interest in Penske.

Cindy
Internet Representative

I'm sure I'll figure out a solution (that doesn't involve $$$ to rent a tow vehicle) but it's a pain in the @ss. All down to U-Haul's lawyers, apparently.

Peter, you're right, it's been discussed before - found the old threads here and here. Apols for dragging up an old topic.

FWIW, U-Haul's response was "We can find alternative options for your move" - involving renting one of their trucks to tow the trailer. Ford suggested "contacting other trailer rental companies for your moving needs", which is fine except there's a U-Haul 2 minutes down the street ...

You don't know anyone who will let you barrow theirs? I would think an expo pulling an old charger on a trailer would be near the max rating of the expo also.... not saying I wouldn't try it myself though.

Edit, some have said it is a mountaineer and gotten away with u-haul also...

They'll rent to Mountaineers, U-Hauls whole thing started with the Firestone fiasco and they basically black flagged all Explorers, yet Mountaineers were the same as 2nd/3rd/4th gens and had no problems lol.

You don't have a friend with a pickup you could borrow?

I rent uhaul trailers all the time from various dealers, just tell them you have an expedition. I ve done this with my explorer parked right in front. You could also reserve the trailer on line and walk in with your printed order request.

The issue involves a law suit with a rented uhaul trailer to an older explorer, Sunday like a couple of young adults were killed in Colorado, the case is still being held up in court. You can google it.

Yup, the people that rent you the trailers don't know half the time and don't care the other half. As long as when they put your vehicle make in their computer it doesn't pop up a message telling them not to rent from you, they will rent it to you. Call it a mountaineer, an expedition, an MDX,doesn't matter (as long as their system thinks the vehicle you tell them is rated for the trailer).

If your really concerned, come by with another vehicle, friend's vehicle, something like that to pick it up and then switch at home.

Some have said it is a violation of their rental agreement with you, but I'm don't take their insurance and my vehicle insurance doesn't care as long as I'm in the specs of my insured vehicle so U-Haul can freaking bill me.

I rented a trailer from a New Orleans uhaul. Told them it was an edge. This was after they were out there hooking up the trailer right under the Explorer emblem. The guy doing the paper work even said "good thing it's not an Explorer". The rental agreement says at the top that you cannot hula the trailer with a different vehicle. Like some one said don't get the insurance, they would deny the claim.

The issue can be traced all the way back to the Firestone tire debacle that tarnished the Explorer's good name in the late 1990s.

While out today doing some serious looking for a 2013 Explorer Limited, I see that the 20" Hankook tires it comes with on both the standard and up-cost wheels are made in Korea!

I guess Ford wants to push their luck (or mine) putting cheap tires on the Explorer Limited. Only way I am buying one of these is to have the tires swapped out before driving off the lot!

I have the hankook tires with 10k on them and they ride great no issues !! You think that ford is that stupid to make the same mistake twice no way and ford was sued by useing firestone but firestone was the culprit, !!

The issue can be traced all the way back to the Firestone tire debacle that tarnished the Explorer's good name in the late 1990s.

While out today doing some serious looking for a 2013 Explorer Limited, I see that the 20" Hankook tires it comes with on both the standard and up-cost wheels are made in Korea!

I guess Ford wants to push their luck (or mine) putting cheap tires on the Explorer Limited. Only way I am buying one of these is to have the tires swapped out before driving off the lot!
Welcome to the Forum ls973800.:wavey:
Good luck in getting the dealer to swap. Mine wasn't interested. Took it right down to a tire shop and put on Yokohama Parada Spec-X tires. Many have had good luck with the Hankooks while a few others have not.

Peter

thank you for the welcome, peterk9.

It's a kick in the azz to be looking at a near $48000.00 "American" made vehicle and find made in Korea tires on it!

There is no way I will buy one without having the tires swapped or be compensated to do it myself.

As for thinking Ford has already been down that road with tire problems once and wouldn't make the same mistake twice? It's all a matter of the bean counters and the pennies they can save using cheaper materials and products.

Uhhhh Hankook makes great tires, so not sure what your talking about being "cheap" since there are plenty of "American" tires that suck. Khumo is Korean as well and used in so many racing series great street tires too. The 11'+ Ex's have about 15% foreign parts in their build, are you going to have Ford swap those out for "custom American" parts since they aren't made elsewhere?

I used to work for uhaul. They won't rent to explorers because of the Firestone tire BS.. They stopped renting to explorers in general because they wanted to stay away from the lawsuits.. The way around it is to say its an expedition or a mounty. Not sure how well that will work with a 5th gen.. I think it's stupid as well. But what can you do

Check Craigslist for one or see if anyone will "rent" it out

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I still find it hilarious they won't rent to an Explorer but yet I rented a dolly with my Saab and towed my Saturn 200 miles with it. :rolleyes:

Back