Uh oh... I'm about to do it again | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Uh oh... I'm about to do it again

koda2000

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
x
I found this 2000 V8 XLT yesterday. Guy wanted $1800 firm, but I asked him if I showed up today with $1600 cash would that buy the truck? He reluctantly said yes. It needs a little minor work (inside/outside door handles) console armrest cover and of course the Mach radio display is out. Body looks pretty good he says the leather interior (other than the center arm rest) is good but rear carpeting is Coke stained (typical). It has lots of new stuff, so even if I just keep it for a parts truck, or spare vehicle I figure it's a good deal.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/cto/4691411226.html

most of my V8's have around 200K, so 206K is nothing. I'm going to look at it this afternoon.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does he have another one? Looks good!

I have switched over to buying only Mountaineers so I still can rent trailers from U-Haul. I just bought another 2000 v8 AWD so I have 4 of these now. Mine had an a chose leak bad alternator, bad camshaft synchronizer and needed shocks, plugs, wires and other little things. I paid $2300 so it sounds good to me

Does he have another one? Looks good!

I have switched over to buying only Mountaineers so I still can rent trailers from U-Haul. I just bought another 2000 v8 AWD so I have 4 of these now. Mine had an a chose leak bad alternator, bad camshaft synchronizer and needed shocks, plugs, wires and other little things. I paid $2300 so it sounds good to me

yeah, I figure the one i'm looking at is easily worth $2300 in my area with new tires, radiator and battery. AWD/4WD doesn't really add any value in GA. I guess the guy needs the cash, as he came off his "firm" price pretty easily after only having it listed for a week. we'll see what it looks like in person later today. probably be driving it home. oh, I have my own trailer... screw Uhaul,

I noticed that it does not appear to have the cruise control recall done. only one of my trucks had it, but my Ford dealer still does it for free in about 15 mins.

Sweet!
You can't have too many 2000 Explorers...:D

Sweet!
You can't have too many 2000 Explorers...:D

tell me about it... well, I bought it for $1,500. during the test drive the check engine light came on. took the owner to Autozone and got it scanned. bad IAC, although the truck idled fine and passed emissions last Friday. oh well, that saved me $200 off the price i'd offered him over the phone. runs, drives, shifts and stops great. most everything works. usual minor problems, but all easily cheaply fixed. tires and battery only 3 mos old. pretty darn happy with it. not sure what i'm going to do with it, but fixing it up will keep me busy for a week or so. it's extremely well equipped for an XLT. it's almost an EB. pics to follow.

Hey, if (and when) my 187k SOHC cuts loose, I think I'll contact Koda for a 5.0 since he might have a few to spare.

I like the exterior color scheme which is the same as my Sport. Are the wheels 15 inch or 16 inch diameter? I've been watching for a 2000 4dr with timing chain rattle but still running with 16 inch wheels.

they're 16's.

Hey, if (and when) my 187k SOHC cuts loose, I think I'll contact Koda for a 5.0 since he might have a few to spare.

yeah, when I see one in decent shape for a good price I just can't resist. this makes 5 (6 counting the original SOHC '01). love these trucks! maybe I need to think about joining Explorers Anonymous...

Koda has me beat by one now, lol...... I haven't seen a good one for sale here in months. If you get another I'll never catch up....

Koda has me beat by one now, lol...... I haven't seen a good one for sale here in months. If you get another I'll never catch up....

i think i'm good for now jr. you know they wont be around for ever. pickings are getting slim. i hope after marketers (like LMC Truck) keep repro'ing stuff for them.

started checking it out and fixing stuff today. here's some pics

111_0378.jpg

111_0379.jpg

apparently you can only do a max of 6 attachments at a time. i'll put the rest in another posting.

the other 6 pics

111_0372.jpg

111_0373.jpg

111_0374.jpg

111_0375.jpg

111_0376.jpg

111_0377.jpg

Nice find!

Kind of sad how little resale value there is in these trucks, compared to F-150's, Sport Tracs, etc. of similar vintage, mileage, and condition.

Nice find!

Kind of sad how little resale value there is in these trucks, compared to F-150's, Sport Tracs, etc. of similar vintage, mileage, and condition.

ssshhh... it's one of our best kept secrets. if everybody knew how good they are it would drive the prices up.

well, i'm about 1/2 done with getting this truck up to my standards. I've done a bunch of minor repairs and have found nothing major wrong. I just got my new Dorman radio power board and plan to install it tonight or tomorrow. the mail truck just came up my driveway (more goodies - door parts (thanks jr!) and a fog light). after cleaning the IAC and driving about 50 miles the CEL turned itself off, so that's good. still waiting on a few things but the more I drive this truck the better I like it. I think i'll let my '01 EB take a rest for the winter.

on the subject of door parts... the PO had removed the passenger side rear exterior door handle and lost the rod that connects the handle to the latch. jr59 just sent me a replacement used rod, and I have the plastic clip that attaches the rod to the latch, but the other end of the rod just has a hook on it. how does that attach to the exterior door handle? if I need another plastic clip what does it look like? I'm also going to do a separate thread on this to get more viewers.

Update: the door handle/rod issue has been resolved.

Well, the spare truck is now 100% road worthy and, other than a few minor interior pieces, complete. I've driven it about 300 miles with no issues.

Purchase price: $1,500

Parts purchased:
- front & rear brake pads $39.98
- new IAC Valve $24.90
- center armrest pad and cover $22
- used fog light $35
- new exterior door handle $6
- new interior door handle (free w/truck)
- OE Ford trailer wire harness (free w/truck)
- battery operated clock (rather than fixing the radio display) $6.99
- spare transponder key $5.94
- ten #194 light bulbs (instrument cluster and HVAC control panel) $5.24
- used OE cruise control switches $35
- fine-point soldering iron to fix overhead TEMP/COMPASS display $9.99
- missing interior trim pieces and door handle-to-latch rod (free, thanks jr)
- red paint and clear coat for door handle (free, already had it)
- new 1 7/8's trailer ball (free, came with my '97 Sport)

If my math is correct that's $181.05 in parts plus my labor, which is free and it came with 4 brand-new tires, a brand-new battery and new radiator. For a grand total investment of $1,681.05 for a truck I'd have no problem jumping in and driving cross-country tomorrow. Pretty good purchase I think.

A good looking backup, to the backup, to the backup, to the backup vehicle for the daily driver.

yes, but all the other's are driven daily by myself and the members of my family, so technically it's the only backup.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back