Uncorking the 5.0 - SVO Headers

65Matt

Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT
Hey all,

I got my SVO headers put on my truck last weekend, and they rock! Above 3000 rpms, the motor starts picking up power big time. It used to fall flat on its face in this range. There is probably a little low end torque loss, but its not really noticeable. I have noticed that it the throttle is not so 'jumpy' right off of idle. It has more 'smooth' low-end power now. Haven't been able to keep my foot out of it to measure the mileage change.

Looking at the stock pieces after removing them: It is unbelievable that Ford installed these factory POS. They are so small! Take a look at my picture here:

www.geocities.com/mstngmtt/portsize.jpg

** Note: Click on this link, then remove the "http://" to pull up the picture.

Anyway, the install was not as bad as I thought it would be. The headers come with gaskets, bolts, and instructions. You have to remove the wheels, but it is also helpful to remove the front shocks (which I replaced anyway).

Overall, I'd say that this mod is well worth the money. (The money meaning the Ford dealer price, not the inflated E.E. price.)

I'll do a detailed writeup and include pics on my site sometime in the future. I'd definately recommend them to anyone with a choked up 5.0.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the SVO ones where still a little small that is why we had custome one made for the explorer.

Congrats. I know what you mean. "Got Rumble?" Yours were probably lots easier to get a hold of than the the ones that mate up w/gt40p heads that i needed.

Yea, troll's headers are probably 100 times better than the SVO's!!! But you have to admit that for a near stock truck, the SVO's have good bang for the buck ($160)

By the way BlkMk8, how does that Miata run that's on your website? Do you guys plan on selling a conversion kit?

we plan on only doing the conversion in house. so you would have to bring me the car. it is best that way it keeps some cost down. plus we are the only guys using a 8.8 dif instead of the 7.5. Troll old SVO headers we gave to Quadcam for free because we thought they where such a piece of gunk.

Back