underbody neon advice | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

underbody neon advice

Just need some basic ideas/brands/install techniques(such as under or attached to running boards...sound good?)....I am looking to put some blue neon under my truck to add a little pizaaz. Let me know what you guys think.

Sean
Bosch 4+ Platinum plugs
Splitfire ignition wires
PIAA 9007 Super-White Headlights(adds 40 rearwheel hp )
Superchip (Installed soon after Christmas!!)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The two main brands I know of are LowGlow and StreetGlow.

Low Glow's Website: http://www.lowglow.com
StreetGlow's Website: http://streetglow.com

StreetGlow has instructions for installation on their site if you want to learn about that. Pretty straightforward, mount the tubes and do some wiring stuff. Both companies have good reputations, but you pick the product that best suits your wants and your truck. I wouldn't buy directly off their site (its more expensive on the companies' sites); shop around some and you'll find better prices. Hope this helps!

[Edited by TheMattDaddy on 12-18-2000 at 10:34 AM]

i plan on purchasing an underbody neon kit for my x soon. i am in phoenix now but i will go back to minnesota for the summer. does anyone know what hte laws are in minnesota? how would the neon stand up to a minnesota winter? on my white x should i go with turqoise? or another color. I have ultrawhite bulbs and blue license illuminator lights already and i think the streetglow turquise looks great.
i don't really want anything too amazing just a little bit of glow.

one more thing, where do i mount the rear neon bulb. there doesn't really seem to be a good place for it. can someone post pictures of where they mounted a kit similar to the gold steetglow kit? bmxboy please help out.

Ok, first of all, heres a pic of a guy named Chris who has turqouise neons on his S-10 truck. He lives in Minnesota, and has had them through the winters (in other words, don't worry..plus, if any of the neons break, send them back to SG for a full refund).

Dead Link Removed

As for mounting the neons, here are a few pics i took - (yes, i know my car has cancer underneath :D)

This is a pic on how i mounted the front neon....
Dead Link Removed

This is a pic on how i mounted the side neon (attached it to the running board supports...)
Dead Link Removed

This is a WIERD pic on how i mounted my back neon..its two pics spliced together, i'll try to get a better pic later today for you...what it consists of, is the neon being mounted above my bike rack support thingy.....
Dead Link Removed

Hope this helps...

Carl

I guess I just don't get it although in the pitch black it looks pretty cool. Neon tubes are pretty durable weather wise anyway... I don't know the laws though on the lights.

thanks bmxboy, please post that other pic later. i was all ready to order the neon last night then i just couldn't figure out where to mount the rear one. that photo should be helpful.
as for not getting it. you need to come down to tempe or scottsdale and go to valet parking a couple of times. it's all about lights, noise (exhaust and stereo) and smooth lines. are you the guy from minturn? i lived ineagle for a while, and there is no way i would have thought fo doing thiswhile living there.

Neons are cool!!:bounce:

can that 9500 handle extra neons in the circuit, i would like to add a 12 in to put behine the lower front grill. would that work.
and should i go white? or that light blue?

expo, IMO you shouldnt get white. you might as well get a color. i think that colored neons look a lot better then plain white.

coolchris, how are you going to set up your extremely similar to my own x?

Sorry this took so long dude....

TEll me if these help any -

Dead Link Removed

Dead Link Removed

Carleton

Originally posted by expo5.0
can that 9500 handle extra neons in the circuit, i would like to add a 12 in to put behine the lower front grill. would that work.
and should i go white? or that light blue?

Yes, you can add either a 12" or 30" neon in with the other 4 neons...but don't go past 16.5 feet (would recomend only either one 12 or one 30 for best results) as for colors, go wit the white in the grill

Carl

thanks bmx boy those pics are very helpful. i'm home now without my x for thanksgiving, but when i return i will tackle this thing. i'm thinking the light blue all around and a white 12 inch in the lower grill. also i just ordered 2 20" sound activated neons from street glow. coolchris, i was trying to ask what kind of a look will your x be trying for?

ahhh... well since im out in cali, i think i am goin to stay away from the underbodies. i know i can get out of the ticket, but it just seems to be too much trouble to be gettin pulled over all the time for a bogus ticket. but, im really into black lights (i have them all over my bedroom) so i think im gonna blacklight out the interior. and im thinkin about puttin a knight rider light stealthly into the lower grill part where the license plate usually goes. and i might get some headlight strobes, but well see how it goes.

good luck on your neon project!

-chris

Originally posted by COOLCHRISCUSH
ahhh... well since im out in cali, i think i am goin to stay away from the underbodies. i know i can get out of the ticket, but it just seems to be too much trouble to be gettin pulled over all the time for a bogus ticket.

Their Illegal In Illinois also...and...im planning on going to college out in Cali...so i hope i dont get to many tickets! :)

carl, out here in cali most people get pulled over and ticketed, but if you fight the ticket, most of the time you can get out of it. just as long as they arent red or in some cases blue. yours are green and purple, so i think you could fight the tickets. but ya, it would just get anoying, to be pulled over all the time.

BMXboy, you have the Street Glow brand right? And also, that green neon you have under (on) your hood, does it stay completely clear of hitting anything in the engine?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by jeems
BMXboy, you have the Street Glow brand right? And also, that green neon you have under (on) your hood, does it stay completely clear of hitting anything in the engine?

Yes, i have all SG....and the neon under my hood is clear of engine parts hittin it.

Carl

Back