Underbody rust protection?

toddious

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
winter park, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Limited 4x4
I just bought a new (to me) 2002 explorer. It is from Ohio, and has some slight underbody rust from the salt and such in Ohio. I live in Florida, so I don't really have to worry about any salt on the truck going forward...

I was curious if there is any type of underbody protection that will stop the current rust from spreading, and maybe add some type of rust protection? Or can I not do anything about it at this point? My last explorer started with minor rust under it, and in the 7 years I had it, it turned into a total rust pit underneath, so I would like to try to avoid that with my new vehicle. Has anybody had any type of protection added underneath with any good results? Thanks in advance for any help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

http://www.por15.com/
Try this stuff, its fairly expensive but it supposedly works great. Ive never used it personally but i've heard it works wonders. kinda pricey though if your looking to use a lot of it

Ideally I'm looking for a service that someone may offer, not a DIY solution. I would like to take it somewhere and have someone spray/apply something underneath the vehicle, i'm just not sure if this is a service that anyone offers....

Gotcha, well im sure a shop would do it for you, not sure if its a typical service they offer. But if you just ask around you'll find something.

If you can find someplace that oils the underside of cars, that would be good- Linseed oil is used a lot, that would be your best bet.

I'd go with the POR-15. Perhaps a body shop can apply for you.
Keep in mind that is it very easy to apply with a brush. Pot life is relatively short, but once it's on, it's on....especially on "seasoned" metal. No extensive preparation required unless it's smooth, oily or new metal. (wear crappy clothes and rubber gloves as it wont wash off your skin!)

After the POR-15 you can further protect with spray can of undercarriage coating (body Schutz).

I've used this approach a few times and I can't say enough how effective it is.

I'm thinking having it done at a body shop is going to work out best, so they can put it up on a lift and get better coverage. If I tried to do it myself I don't have access to a lift, and wouldn't really have a good way to get under the vehicle. THanks for the reply's, i'll spend some more time looking into it and see if any local shops offer anything.

check out places that do truck bedliners. Or ask local dealerships. We got out cars/ trucks done at a shop that the ford dealership recommended to us.

But there might be more places up here in wisconsin due to the harsh winters .

good luck

Back