• Register Today It's free!

Uneven braking?

jklett

Reaction score
City, State
Hillsborough, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XLT
I have a 1993 XLT and I just failed inspection for uneven braking. The front was pretty even(slightly higher on the passenger side) and the front to rear proportion was about right but the drivers side rear was very high and the passenger side rear was low. I don't feel any pull at all when braking so I was unaware of a problem until I saw the red sticker come out. There's no strange sounds or anything(although the ABS light has been intermittently coming on since we got this truck 4 years ago). Any ideas as to what to look for when I pull the drums(besides the obvious shoe wear)? I'm thinking a frozen cylinder or maybe the parking brake lever is sticking. Anything else I should look into?

I'd start with bleeding the brakes.

Turn engine off.
Get a 2' or so hose that will fit on the bleeder. Clear is better.
Get a large bottle of brake fluid, Dot 3, don't matter.
Get a small empty water bottle.
Start at the rear right, then go to front left,then rear left, then front right I think, don't know if it really matters..
Break the bleeder fitting free, WD40 will help. Put the hose on bleeder. Put a inch of fluid in bottle. Put hose in bottle and over bleeder if you can. Keep hose submerged.
Open bleeder 1/2 turn
Pump brakes 3-4 times
Bottle should have a couple of inches of fluid. Pump it till it does.
Top off brake resevoir. NEVER let it go dry, EVER!
Once you're sure you have no air in the brake line tighten the bleeder fitting.

Rinse and repeat for all the brakes. See if it helps. Expect to get fluid all over.

Back