• Register Today It's free!

Uneven front pad wear?

metroplex

Reaction score
City, State
Detroit, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Ford Explorer XLT
I noticed that my front brakes seem to wear unevenly. This is after I installed new rotors and pads, and saw how the swept pattern doesn't seem to cover the outer perimeter of the rotor. I had cleaned and lubed the slides but this uneven wear is really apparent on the inboard pads. Is there something I am missing? These are the 352mm HD brakes.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Pics? If your pads aren’t contacting the full rotor surface your pads aren’t flat, the rotor isn’t flat, or they aren’t square to each other.

Pics? If your pads aren’t contacting the full rotor surface your pads aren’t flat, the rotor isn’t flat, or they aren’t square to each other.

It was doing this with the original pads and rotors as it wasn't clearing the rust. It's more apparent on the inboard sides.

Attachments

• 20200531_201939-1.jpg
    20200531_201939-1.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 100

Usually a pad will leave an untouched margin. That seems pretty extreme though. If the factory pads did it, and the replacements do, it just might be how it is. Were both sides consistent?

Actually yes, on the inboards mainly. The driver side outboard has some that wasn't swept, but the passenger side outboard looks normal right now. When I installed everything, the pads and new rotors all felt square. I quadruple checked to make sure the pistons would interface with the pads properly. I can't think of anything other than maybe bent calipers or the friction material needs to wear a bit more to even out.

I know when I put new rear pads/rotors on the rear of my Sport, it initially had some odd wearing (looked like grooves) for a little bit until the pads/rotors wore in together.
Maybe give it a bit more time and check back.

Good call! I've read on EBC's site and other places that it can take 300 miles of normal driving before the pads sweep evenly. I never knew that. I've read numerous bedding procedures but none that explained how pads may not be sweeping evenly from the get go. I've put a few hundred miles of normal driving on these new pads/rotors and the inboard side of the rotors are starting to sweep more evenly. There's probably another 1/2" of outer perimeter that needs to start clearing so the inboard pads either have uneven friction material from the factory or the force applied is uneven.

Back