Unhappy with Replacement Brake Light Switch | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Unhappy with Replacement Brake Light Switch

SCREAMS

Reaction score
City, State
Gloucester, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 Merc Mountaineer
My 03 2wd Mountaineer brake lights would remain on even though the brakes were not applied. I purchased a replacement brake light switch from the Ford Dealer. I had to remove the existing electrical connector and splice in a replacement connector provided with the switch. The problem with the brake lights staying on is fixed; however, now the brake lights do not come on with very light breaking pressure. The cruise control does not turn off with light brake pressure.

havent seen one in years but any adjustment to it?
or a pic of it? might be some slack in the mounting screws.

My 03 2wd Mountaineer brake lights would remain on even though the brakes were not applied. I purchased a replacement brake light switch from the Ford Dealer. I had to remove the existing electrical connector and splice in a replacement connector provided with the switch. The problem with the brake lights staying on is fixed; however, now the brake lights do not come on with very light breaking pressure. The cruise control does not turn off with light brake pressure.

To further elaborate, I called the Ford Parts guy. He told me that I must have accidently changed the cruise control cut out switch also located near the brake light switch. This smells to me.

There are no adjustment points on the brake light switch that I can see. I was careful not to touch anything else. The job to change the switch was easy; it took approximately five minutes once I removed the dash board access plate. The electrical connector replacement took another ten minutes. I don’t see where I could have screwed this one up.

Over the past several days, it appears the switch has “Broken-in” and there is less of an issue. However, there is still a delay in the cruise control turning off when the brakes are applied. It takes more than slight braking pressure. Before changing the brake light switch, it only took a small tap on the brake pedal and the cruise was disengaged. Hope someone has an answer or has experienced a similar circumstance.

Back