"Universal" OE style muffler anyone? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

"Universal" OE style muffler anyone?

aklmfreak

Reaction score
City, State
Pensacola, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Sport 4.0 SOHC
Hey guys i know this is totally random...
does anyone have any idea if there's an exhaust company that sells OE style 'non performance' mufflers in universal sizes and I/O formats?
i've been searching for a while and have stumbled across Walker Exhaust systems but everything they sell online is direct replacement for OEM parts... i wanna be able to pick out a universal 2.25" Center/Center muffler with a stock sound... I would like an OE sounding muffler that fits my custom catback piping, so that i could put an electronic cutout right in front of it and switch from 'stock sounding' to 'loud' at a whim... i know this sounds absurd and i'm not really considering this setup very seriously....yet.... i'm just wondering if the parts exist to make it happen...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Actually, a 2.25" center/center with a mellow stock sound would be great for me as well. I'm looking to ditch the glasspack it has now. I'm sick of the noise

You guys want a "turbo" muffler. Autozone, Advance Auto... either one of them places have them for fairly cheap...

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WLK-17713/
Thrush Turbo

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-630122/
Summit Racing Turbo

Usually these mufflers don't come center in/center out. Most likely Offset in/Center out and if I remember correctly, they're reversible.

Ugh....*smacks forehead*... I knew there was an easier way to say what i was looking for lol, the very knowledge of the existence of the "turbo" style muffler eluded me while i was making that last post.

Is your flowmaster set up too loud for you?

I can attest to the Thrush Turbo being quiet. I got a ticket for sound once and used a highflow magnaflow cat and thrush turbo to get my ticket wrote off as "fixed". Was pretty quiet with a mellow tone when you get on it.

Is your flowmaster set up too loud for you?

I can attest to the Thrush Turbo being quiet. I got a ticket for sound once and used a highflow magnaflow cat and thrush turbo to get my ticket wrote off as "fixed". Was pretty quiet with a mellow tone when you get on it.

Nah i lovthe way my delta 40 sounds, but i recently moved away from home and do a lot of traveling now and my flowmaster is just loud enough to be annoying when im talking on the phone or driving for more than a few hours... So i figured id quiet down my muffler but put a cutout in in case i want to go screaming under an echoey overpass or get caught at a stoplight next to a ricer :p

Back