Unknown 4x4 engage problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Unknown 4x4 engage problem

Fordboarder5

Reaction score
City, State
Stewartstown, PA
I've done a bunch of searching and have not found any solution to my problem. Hopefully someone can help...

I have a 2001 sport and sometimes (typically when I need it most) the 4x4 does not engage. Now I know what you are thinking 1000 people have already had this problem (I have yet to find a similar post). When I turn the switch the light does not come on and I do not hear the clicking noise that accompanies the normal switch when it does engage. After turning the switch several times in and out of 4high or 4low, I get the click and it engages. Or after driving several minutes with the switch turned to 4high it clicks and engages.

So my thinking is as follows, is there a solenoid under the passenger dash that could go bad not allowing the t-case to engage the 4x4? Or is it the 4x4 motor not knowing the position? Has anybody exerienced a similar problem? Thanks

I've done a bunch of searching and have not found any solution to my problem. Hopefully someone can help...

I have a 2001 sport and sometimes (typically when I need it most) the 4x4 does not engage. Now I know what you are thinking 1000 people have already had this problem (I have yet to find a similar post). When I turn the switch the light does not come on and I do not hear the clicking noise that accompanies the normal switch when it does engage. After turning the switch several times in and out of 4high or 4low, I get the click and it engages. Or after driving several minutes with the switch turned to 4high it clicks and engages.

So my thinking is as follows, is there a solenoid under the passenger dash that could go bad not allowing the t-case to engage the 4x4? Or is it the 4x4 motor not knowing the position? Has anybody exerienced a similar problem? Thanks

I wouldn't look at the shift motor either... Here's why:

My guess is that either the GEM isn't seeing the proper input from the switch, or there's some other odd issue with the system. On yours, if the system saw the proper input from the switch calling for 4high, and it tried to turn the shift motor, but failed to see the motor feedback move to 4high, I would expect it would kick out and store a trouble code.

Where to start? I'd start with the simple stuff... Loose connections on the switch itself, proper resistance through the switch, etc. Then, I'd find a shop with a scanner that can view the GEM PID's and see what the system is seeing for inputs and outputs. That will tell you whether or not the system is even trying to shift from 2wd to 4high. If the output for the transfer case shift relay is on, but it's not moving, then we need to focus on the relay, wiring, and motor. If not, the problem lies elsewhere....

-Joe

Back