Unleashed Explorer Sport Power Package Stage 1 | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Unleashed Explorer Sport Power Package Stage 1

You can request a MPG tune from Torrie which under light throttle/cruise can show improved MPG and during WOT can give you additional power. The key is to keep out of the gas peddle. :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm trying to justify getting one of these, so here's a summary of what I've read. Pls correct me if I'm wrong..

After I get a 3 bar MAP, I can't just go to Livernois, Lund or Unleashed and ask for a 15+ psi boost tune (with basic mods), right? At least probably not without additional fuel delivery mods. So a 3 bar with basic mods is only beneficial for "just in case" situations where your boost may spike over 14.5, to help with a/f and timing. Correct? And how often do these boost spikes happen? Will performance suffer without a 3 bar MAP sensor?

tl;dr version: Is a 3 bar really needed for those with basic mods (intake, exhaust, tstat)?

A 3 bar map sensor is simply the sensor in the engine bay that reads the amount of pressure your turbos are making. I dont know what the stock sensor is, but I think its a 2.5 bar. Bar is another way of expressing pressure. 1 bar = 14.503 psi. If you were to increase the boost to a level above what the factory MAP sensor can read, then the vehicles computer can no longer account for the additional pressure. So if your tune increased the pressure above 2.5 bar (36.25 psi) less atmospheric pressure (14.7) then yes you would need an upgrade.

So 2.5 bar = 36.25 psi MINUS 14.7 (atmosphere) = ~21.55 psi. So that would be the max turbo boost that a stock 2.5 bar sensor can read to.

Most tunes are not going to exceed this as the turbos are likely not that efficient at that level of boost.

How difficult is it to change the thermostat? Is it as simple as draining the coolant, removing a hose or two, unbolting a thermostat housing and then putting everything back together?

Tony

Nice price on a nice package.
I would be very tempted, but I traded my Sport in

Torrie just sent me an updated Tune. I installed it while she was in the stable this evening. I will take her for a test run later on today.

Buzz

I have no idea if the latest tune has more torque,hp, boost etc. I can tell ya it still runs strong and the shifts still hit hard but with no indication that it is too
Violent on the tranny. It chirps the tires every time from a static 2000rpm launch and chirps from first to second almost every time im on it hard. Yes I am happy.

Buzz

Corpflyboy...if you lazily drive your Explorer around town without getting on it, are you able to tell it's been tuned vs. when it was stock?

Tony

Corpflyboy...if you lazily drive your Explorer around town without getting on it, are you able to tell it's been tuned vs. when it was stock?

Tony

The only thing you will notice is it shifts better, but other than that you can't tell. It drives the way it should have from the factory.

Like Mach said if you drive it to save fuel, taking it easy on the engine and tranny you and your passengers will not know the difference. Once you tromp on it, the difference between stock and tuned is night and day. This vehicle will never see the track so quarter mile times mean nothing to me. On-ramps, launches from traffic lights, accelerating from 50-80 is what I like. The tune is that much more noticeable without the use of a dyno/quarter mile slip. I know Mach, first thing he is gonna do when it cools down here in FL is take it to the track bone stock, and work his way from there. To each their own.

Buzz

Like Mach said if you drive it to save fuel, taking it easy on the engine and tranny you and your passengers will not know the difference. Once you tromp on it, the difference between stock and tuned is night and day. This vehicle will never see the track so quarter mile times mean nothing to me. On-ramps, launches from traffic lights, accelerating from 50-80 is what I like. The tune is that much more noticeable without the use of a dyno/quarter mile slip. I know Mach, first thing he is gonna do when it cools down here in FL is take it to the track bone stock, and work his way from there. To each their own.

Buzz

I too am waiting for a cool night to go to the track. Let me know and perhaps we can plan something. I assume Bithlo?

I too am waiting for a cool night to go to the track. Let me know and perhaps we can plan something. I assume Bithlo?

Sounds good to me !! I like to do the funday Sunday's......

I will let you know as soon as I can so you can plan ahead.

To make it easier for you guys we put together a performance package including:

Airaid CAI - updated with latest weatherstrip
SCT X4 Tuner with 3 custom tunes from Torrie@Unleashed with free option for unlimited tune updates via mail, just data log for a tune tailored for YOUR vehicle.
170 degree thermostat
Pre-gapped Autolite spark plugs
Optional 3 bar MAP sensor

$850 shipped! (+$60 for 3 bar MAP sensor)
http://ecopowerparts.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4&products_id=113

Use Airaid's $50 WTF rebate as well for even more savings!

Hi Mike, dumb question. After add all those in, how much performance gain in both HP and torque are expected on a 2015 Ex Sport? And if those performance are that big, would it hurt the engine life span? If not too much, why not the factory add them in? Thanks

You can expect between 40-70HP depending on local gas available.
The factory pretty consistently detunes all vehicles to make them have higher MPG and make sure that people have a super reliable vehicle. When you tune your vehicle you're taking advantage of power that was left on the table, with boosted vehicles it's pretty consistent that you'll pick up around 10 to 15% from all manufacturers in my experience.

Thanks, Mike. Can you tell us what are the differences between your tunes and those of Livernois?

Tony

Well it's not my tunes I just resell Torrie from Unleashed tunes.
Here's what I wrote up based off feedback from LMS and Torrie for the guys on my forum, there are MANY heated debates about LMS and Unleashed there....
These are the only two tuners for the transverse that most are aware of and that are doing a great job with tuning on the transverse as of 5/11/14.
No other tuners can be suggested right now, if this changes this post will be updated.

Unleashed tuning
$414.99 shipped for X4 tuner, also have iTSX, Livewire TS and X3 - discounts with bundled upgrades
3 custom tunes supplied, room for up to 10 custom tunes
Access to all available tunes, usable on all Ford vehicles SCT supports, Raptor, Mustang, F150, Focus, Fusion, Escape, Edge, Explorer, etc.
Device that can data log and tuner that will do tune revisions via data logging (road tuning)
Unlimited updates to the tune and at your request.
You can unlock it and sell it - $199 for someone to get a new tune
If other tuners make a tune for your vehicle you can purchase the tune and use the SCT device (truck owners have lots of tuners available)
Wireless updates via the device after initial update via USB on a Windows PC
Support for 3-bar tuning
Support for turbo upgrade tuning
Support for exhaust upgrades
Support for any meth kit
No cost for additional tuning
All tunes for SHO and Focus developed in house on company owned vehicle
Data logging encourged, one size does not fit all
Built in monitoring via the device or via software on laptop
E85 mixing accommodated
Remote dyno tuning supported for additional fee - tune will be the best possible option for the most power
Custom requests supported for specific commanded AFR etc.

Livernois:
MyCal Tuner $599 + shipping - discounts with bundled upgrades
Availability to hold up to 4 custom tunes
Access to all available Livernois tunes, usable on all Ford vehicles we support, Raptor, Mustang, F150, Focus, Fusion, Escape, Edge, Explorer, etc.
Updateable via internet connection and USB using Windows based software
Used tuners can be transferred to new owner pays $250.00 transfer and new tunes giving new customer access to all custom tunes as if bought new
Proprietary hardware developed to work in conjunction with our proprietary software.
Support for meth tuning for Livernois/AlkyControl kit only as to ensure best results
Support for 3-bar tuning
Support for turbo upgrade tuning
Support for exhaust upgrades
No cost for additional tuning
All tunes, developed in house on company owned vehicles
Data Logging not required
No need for dyno sessions

The factory pretty consistently detunes all vehicles to make them have higher MPG and make sure that people have a super reliable vehicle. When you tune your vehicle you're taking advantage of power that was left on the table, with boosted vehicles it's pretty consistent that you'll pick up around 10 to 15% from all manufacturers in my experience.

Thanks Mike, is that mean after using tune tools it will make the vehicle less MPG but more power?

Thanks Mike, is that mean after using tune tools it will make the vehicle less MPG but more power?

The MPG will not drop from the tune. You will drive it a little harder because it is more enjoyable to drive.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just found out that Ex Sport, SHO and MKT all share the same transmission, is that mean tuning the engine wont damage the transmission? For SHO and MKT their specs are full torque from 1500 RPM by using high pressure fuel injection. I am also wondering if it is even possible to change that part on Ex Sport.

Back