Upper Control Arm and Ball Joint question | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Upper Control Arm and Ball Joint question

^ Any reason you want to go back to the weaker two-piece passenger side UCA? If you need more caster split adjustment, the 1-5/8 degree Moog K80065 camber kits should give you plenty to get into spec, even if lifted or lowered. If you're set on the two-piece UCA, there are still many 1995-01 four doors, Sports, and ST's with original two-piece UCA's in salvage yards, but the bushings will likely have to be replaced. You being in the Philippines, I'd stick with your one piece arm, and install camber kits if you haven't yet.

http://www.moogparts.com/pdf/did-you-know/english/DYK10_106_En.pdf

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

^ Any reason you want to go back to the weaker two-piece passenger side UCA? If you need more caster split adjustment, the 1-5/8 degree Moog K80065 camber kits should give you plenty to get into spec, even if lifted or lowered. If you're set on the two-piece UCA, there are still many 1995-01 four doors, Sports, and ST's with original two-piece UCA's in salvage yards, but the bushings will likely have to be replaced. You being in the Philippines, I'd stick with your one piece arm, and install camber kits if you haven't yet.

http://www.moogparts.com/pdf/did-you-know/english/DYK10_106_En.pdf
Hi,

I know what you are pointing at strength wise, I already have the castor camber kit installed, but can never get perfect alignment, maxed out in the slot. I guess the slots on the chasis are not long enough to get enough adjustment. Did think of grinding the slots a bit longer but difficult to get in there. Just thought going back to the 2 piece would be easier as i can get new bushings and the outer ball part off the net.
One thing that affects the amount of adjustment specially for camber is the ride height. Anybody know exactly what the ride height should be and how/where to measure it.???

Ford's procedure to measure ride height is using measurements from the LCA pivot bolt to the lowest point of the spindle. IMO, problem is the ride height spec variance is 21mm, or nearly one inch. "Acceptable" front side-to-side spec is +/- 5/8" measured from the top of the fender wells. Other thing to consider is tire diameter. I assume the specs are measured with stock tire diameters for the ST, which are either either 29" (3:73) gearing, or 30.1" (4:10). Also remember weak torsion bars can also affect ride height, and one of the reasons the torsion bolts are adjustable. My excellent alignment shop tried to get the front exactly the same, but needed to adjust one side 1/4" different to get camber into spec.

ride-height-general-procedures.pdf

front-suspension-8212-4x2-specifications.pdf
front-suspension-8212-4x4-specifications.pdf | Four Wheel Drive | Suspension (Vehicle)

One thing that affects the
Ford's procedure to measure ride height is using measurements from the LCA pivot bolt to the lowest point of the spindle. IMO, problem is the ride height spec variance is 21mm, or nearly one inch. "Acceptable" front side-to-side spec is +/- 5/8" measured from the top of the fender wells. Other thing to consider is tire diameter. I assume the specs are measured with stock tire diameters for the ST, which are either either 29" (3:73) gearing, or 30.1" (4:10). Also remember weak torsion bars can also affect ride height, and one of the reasons the torsion bolts are adjustable. My excellent alignment shop tried to get the front exactly the same, but needed to adjust one side 1/4" different to get camber into spec.

front-suspension-8212-4x4-specifications.pdf | Four Wheel Drive | Suspension (Vehicle)
Thanks a lot, when you say the lowest point of the "spindle" is that the outer end of the lower control arm?
if i can get the ride height set right, the rest of the alignment may fall into place.

See illustration from first link above. (Ride height general procedure) Step #4
Measure the distance between the front wheel spindle (lowest point) and the lift.
Record the measurement.Take the measurement from the midpoint of the surface shown

Hi again, thanks for your patience and assistance with the procedure, i am still a little confused with "spindle" is that the same as what is called the steering knuckle in the parts analogue.?

Back