• Register Today It's free!

Upper Control Arms/BallJoints

ToneDog

Reaction score
City, State
Valley Stream, New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Sport
I just had my lower balljoints, tie rods, sway bar busings/links changed under warranty when I complained of front end noises. Which was nice but I was wondering if they were changin all that stuff wouldn't the uppers be in somewhat the same wear conditions as the lowers or other compents changed?

I asked the tech about the uppers and he said they look ok.

My warranty is almost up another 1500 miles and have heard how expensive the uppers are and that the control arms need to be changed when doing upper ball joints.

How can I tell if they should be changed or if they are worn ect?

What are some of the symptoms or bad uppers?

Thanks,
Tonedog

the uppers require changing the control arm. its only 3 bolts holding each in and they are easy to do. the lowers are the harder ones to do. although after changing the uppers you need to get alignment most likely. uppers cost more for parts.. but i don't see how they could cost more for labor. just did mine this weekend and i did the uppers both sides in less than an hour. parts were $90 each but they are MOOG and much better than stock ford

ToneDog said:
How can I tell if they should be changed or if they are worn ect?
Grab a friend. Lift one side of the front end via the frame until the tire is off the ground, support the frame on a jackstand. One of you crawl under the front and get a good eye on the upper balljoint. The other should put their hands on the top and bottom of the tire and try to wiggle it. If the person at the tire feels any movement, or the person at the balljoint sees any movement, the balljoint is bad/worn. Then do the same to the other side.

To answer your wear question, on both my Xs, the lower balljoints went bad before the uppers did.

Ok thanks for the replys fellas!

I will try the upper check and if they are ok tehn I will leave them alone.

I just thought that with all the parts they changed that they should've done the uppers too before they were out of warranty. You know how it works.... everything big covered under warranty fails just after the warramty expires!

thx
Tonedog

Back