• Register Today It's free!

Urgent! Clutch Help!

scott.475

Reaction score
City, State
Washington State
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 4wd Explorer
I got everything switched out and put back together, but I cannot bleed the ^*(&^%&(* system! I push and push and push on the $%&*^%%* clutch pedal, but nothing happens. The bleeder screw is definitely open. What the &*&^^&** is going on?!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The clutch can be one of the biggest pains to bleed. Sometimes it is best to let it sit for a couple hours and give it another try. If that doesn't get it, it may be necessary to vacuum bleed it.

Okay, thanks. Will one of those hand operated vacuum units that I can rent work, or will I need to take it to a shop?

They are not that expensive...
I have a vaccum \brake bleeder combo jobber - mrboyle will help if those dont' work on the clutch ..I'm pretty sure it will

If you think you are going to be working on your car.....they are handy - ERG , checking and pumping vaccum lines...after I got mine I use it a lot.

the plus: Its a universal thing so you can use it all cars

I don't have the manual in front of me, but part of Fords's procedure calls for you to disconnect the hydraulic line at the quick disconnect coupler and manually bleed the line coming from the master cylinder by pressing on the valve in the line with a small screwdriver. Had to do that a couple times to get mine to bleed.

Scott
check your email for procedure

Thanks everybody for your replies...I am still sooooo frustrated! I figured out my biggest problem, I was monitoring the wrong reservoir! Once I got that straightened away things seemed to be going much better, but I cannot get the friggin' air out of my line! I went through at least four reservoirs worth of fluid, using a bleeder hose submerged in a jar of fluid. Constant and huge air bubbles, over and over. Maybe the line going into the slave cylinder has a hole in it, but I find no evidence of leaking fluid. I am sooooo frustrated!

Walk away from it for a while... clear you head

"strong mind..... strong body grasshopper"
You'll get it
You're no alone.
I have a very long list of repairs from Hell...2 hour bolts and an even longer list of all the putzey oversights and dumb things I did

Be "one" with the car ......that work sometimes.... talk to it

I did just that. Try again on Monday when I have more time. Until I get this fixed we are stuck driving around in my trail rig, a '91 Toy X-cab. Not very fun loading 2- and 3- year old kids into the back of that thing!

Another question, where is the drain plug on my transfer case? I have looked all over, and for the life of me can't find it. I found the fill plug. Is the drain plug behind the damper maybe?

Yeah I think that is it
Look for a 3/8 square for a socket wrench to go in

FINALLY!

I finally got it to work! I had to have a buddy come over, he would pump the brake while I held a finger over the bleeder. I cannot believe how much air was in there! There might still be some, but it is shifting better now than before I swapped out the clutch, so I am happy. Geez, what a huge pain! I think I will drive it for a week or so, then bleed it again and see if there is still more air trapped.

Back