USB flash drive ''VS" I-Pod | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

USB flash drive ''VS" I-Pod

I have no idea how you fellow Zune owners have not run into this problem, but I recently installed an '08 Pioneer Premier DEH-P690UB, plugged in my Zune, and got an 'N/A USB' message. After consulting my manual, I found that this means that the HU does not support that type of mp3 player, which of course disappointed me. Still feeling stubborn, I called Pioneer and they told me that Zunes, in fact, do not work with many HU's due to that fact that they are rather new (think back to the compatibility issues with the IPOD when it first came out) I also researched it further on forums concerning USB HU's and I read from several other people that Zune's are completely incompatible with HU's. Am I missing something here, or did I misread some of your posts? Cus I'll tell ya what, if you guys know how to make a Zune work with a USB HU, I sure would like to know the secret! Thanks guys, hope you guys figure out what to do about your USB issues.

This year HU does play zune.

This year HU does play zune.

Oh, well, any thoughts as to why the Pioneer technician would tell me it doesn't work, and how would I get it to actually work, because I would really like to know. Obviously using an 80 GB Zune would be way easier than using a lot of flash drives (other than the insane loadup time, lol) Thanks again.

I have no idea how you fellow Zune owners have not run into this problem, but I recently installed an '08 Pioneer Premier DEH-P690UB, plugged in my Zune, and got an 'N/A USB' message. After consulting my manual, I found that this means that the HU does not support that type of mp3 player, which of course disappointed me. Still feeling stubborn, I called Pioneer and they told me that Zunes, in fact, do not work with many HU's due to that fact that they are rather new (think back to the compatibility issues with the IPOD when it first came out) I also researched it further on forums concerning USB HU's and I read from several other people that Zune's are completely incompatible with HU's. Am I missing something here, or did I misread some of your posts? Cus I'll tell ya what, if you guys know how to make a Zune work with a USB HU, I sure would like to know the secret! Thanks guys, hope you guys figure out what to do about your USB issues.

The Zune has it's own proprietary communications protocol. It can't be recognized as an Apple iPod or a USB Mass Storage Device, the two protocols that are likely hard-coded in the HU.

Oh, well, any thoughts as to why the Pioneer technician would tell me it doesn't work, and how would I get it to actually work, because I would really like to know. Obviously using an 80 GB Zune would be way easier than using a lot of flash drives (other than the insane loadup time, lol) Thanks again.

Your HU is not this year model, is last year, so yours wont do it.

Back