Utah Explorer Trail Runs - Let's get this going | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Utah Explorer Trail Runs - Let's get this going

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Give me some dates and times, and depending on how many people from a certrain region, will decide on the place.
I'm willing to work with everyone on where and when.

What kind of difficulty is everyone looking at? My X is stock. I've had it some fairly hairy places, but I obviously can't do large rocks or ledges. Five Mile Pass is probably just outside what I'd feel comfortable with in Splodey, there's a couple spots I just don't have the clearance or sliders for.

In terms of dates, I work 10 on 4 off, so I get every other weekend. I'd be down with a daytrip into the west desert or an overnighter down south, maybe in the Maze or the Swell?

Pretty much stock sport here as well, I did just put taller, more grippy tires on, and I plan on getting it up a inch or two at the end of this week by 4dr/AAL and TT. That probably wont make much of a difference in offroad capability though.

Its my daily driver so any type of real abuse/damage is probably out of the question for me. I don't know how rough any of the local trails are, but I'm down to attempt any within reason -- I also don't have any recovery devices.

Friday, Saturday, Sundays for me as I work 4/10 swings. I would need a few days advance notice for anything beyond few hour trip in the local ogden/layton/slc area.

Ive been doing a ton of research and have lots of trails in mind. 5 mile, rattlesnake?, old Ephraim grave, American fork canyon/tibble fork reservoir area, hardware ranch area, snake creek canyon in heber?, inspiration point? to name a few, never been to any of those.

Hopefully Nate doesn't trade his explorer for a newer Cherokee. Traitor!! :thumbdwn:

:D

Yeah we arent doing anything too extreme. Im only running a 3rd gen lifted 1.25" front 1" rear so I'm not running hells revenge like trails. Trails I know I'll be running (anyone can join me) Inspiration Point, Skyline Drive (farmington canyon loop), some canyon in the oqquires by kennecott, one of the cottonwood canyons have a pass that leads over to slc that i'll do, I could go back to Moab this summer and run shafer trail, gemini bridges, hurrah pass/kane creek trail. They all arent difficult. A stock X could do em, but oversized tires would be great if you have em.

some canyon in the oqquires by kennecott, one of the cottonwood canyons have a pass that leads over to slc that i'll do,

Butterfield/Middle Canyon in the Oquirrs is half paved and entirely graded. You could drive it in a minivan. 152 between Midway and Brighton is the same way. They're both pretty drives, but nothing more than that.

I'd love to join you for Inspiration Point, I haven't done that one yet.

Butterfield/Middle Canyon in the Oquirrs is half paved and entirely graded. You could drive it in a minivan. 152 between Midway and Brighton is the same way. They're both pretty drives, but nothing more than that.

I'd love to join you for Inspiration Point, I haven't done that one yet.

There is an unpaved overlook of kennecott when you get to the top, about a 1/2 mile away on a trail; That's where I'm specifically talking about. 152 by brighton is just for pictures really.

Hell YES!!! There is an Explorer group in Utah! I'm definitely a newbie, but two weekends ago my dad blew out both rear leaf springs and punch the gas tank in our 73 jeep so I've been able to spend more time focusing on my Explorer (so much for all the engine work we had invested in the CJ5)! I'll try to get a few pics posted, but I would love to go wheeling and absolutely love Canyon Lands! Let me see if I can get a pic of the Shafer Trail, it would be a perfect trip for the level of this club!

339900875.jpg

Here is a picture of the Shafer Trail in Canyon Lands. As the trail descends from the plateau it works its way onto BLM Lands, which means unrestricted camping and campfires. The National Park is quite stingy about fires (mainly to deter gathering of wood and cutting down trees). It can be done in a stock Explorer, yet you are given a great freedom of off-roading and wheeling in the Island in the Sky!

339901013.jpg

Here is the White Rim Trail. It would also be another great wheeling road for the club to tackle (assuming that there is some form a loosely created club here headed by NHarris and that I am able to join????). The sections we drove in were cake and every so often there was a spot that required poking your head out the window to double check the path you had in mind when the rock outcroppings breached the grading. The trail contains 100 miles of road and can be broken down into a variety of doable chunks (not the whole thing in one fell swoop if your truck (or mine) or time doesn't allow for it). It also passes Rustlers Point which is a great road with some entry level obstacles that may pass for rock crawling (which again can be done in a stock Explorer). It eventually winds down along a series of saddles and head to a beautiful scenic overlook of the Green River. It is the most penetrating road into the area that stays on top of the main plateau. The picture shown was taken two weekends ago off of the highway at the Green River overlook. It shows a section of the White Rim trail as it skirts the cliff edges in the picture.

339901248.jpg

Finally, here is a picture of my baby as of this last Sunday. I want to restore it completely in due time, whether it be a few years or many years. I am also looking into a 2 inch, 4 inch, and 6 inch lift and all the other catches that go along with lifting it. My goal is a 4", but I could settle for a 2". My special ability is shearing bolts, which happened again today and prompted me to call it a night and start cruising this awesome forum!

There is another great area that I will try to get pictures of just past Tooele. If you head into Stockton and take a left on Silver Ave. it will slowly wind towards the mountains until it becomes a trail head that branches left and right. If you head right it will take you up the mountain side until it reaches the mining area which is full of trails. The main drag to get up there is a fair climb and has rock outcroppings jutting from the grading, but there is enough maneuvering room that we got a Civic up to the main turn around or landing at the top. From there you can walk to a number of mining structures or continue up the mountain along old mine cart grades that have been converted into 4x4 trails. No way you could even attempt a civic up these, however, a stock Explorer was perfect for traversing across to the opposite ridge along the canyon wall. There are a good number of other trails I have yet to explore in this area that go everywhere a mine cart used to, however, some are a little more challenging and the others just require taking a look at. Hopefully you guys would be interested in a day trip some time...?

My apology on not getting on here so soon. Like I said, I've been working 7 days a week since April 2nd... So I've been busy as can be.

Your truck looks nice, any other pics of it?

I'm interested in any trail run this summer. I want to do the Shafer trail one of these days along with a few other.

Here's a couple shots of my rig in Moab.
m5.jpg

m3-1.jpg

m7.jpg

Your Explorer is Awesome! I don't think I've ever seen another like it! Also, which trail is it with the gigantic boulder leaning over the roadway? It looks like you've driven everywhere! I don't have access to the other pics of my Explorer, although there are only a few to pic from, but here is one on the salt flats before I started to work on it.

460418_3626037414742_1388222477_3628950_1753473300_o.jpg

Between this picture and my earlier post you can see the grill after putting that rubberized undercoating and a final black coat in between the chrome. I think it is a little cleaner look with out all the faded silvery plastic showing.

The pics I have are from Long Canyon. My truck has been a lot of places. lol With my X, I've done the Transcontinental Railroad, Inspiration Point, Long Canyon, some random trails around the Monte Cristo Area, doing a few up in Idaho this weekend.
I cant see the grille on my phone, but from what I can see it looks good. Honestly you have one of the cleanest 1st gen Ive seen around here lately. Cant wait to see some mods on to that!

That's AWESOME!!! You've taken your truck everywhere!! You've even driven the transcontinental railroad??? I have a pic of when I broke down out there just before Nevada.

34160_1526476367028_1388222477_1457865_7496842_n.jpg

There is another great area that I will try to get pictures of just past Tooele. If you head into Stockton and take a left on Silver Ave. it will slowly wind towards the mountains until it becomes a trail head that branches left and right. If you head right it will take you up the mountain side until it reaches the mining area which is full of trails. The main drag to get up there is a fair climb and has rock outcroppings jutting from the grading, but there is enough maneuvering room that we got a Civic up to the main turn around or landing at the top. From there you can walk to a number of mining structures or continue up the mountain along old mine cart grades that have been converted into 4x4 trails. No way you could even attempt a civic up these, however, a stock Explorer was perfect for traversing across to the opposite ridge along the canyon wall. There are a good number of other trails I have yet to explore in this area that go everywhere a mine cart used to, however, some are a little more challenging and the others just require taking a look at. Hopefully you guys would be interested in a day trip some time...?

Best check with Tooele County before heading up there. The last time I was up there, the Jacob City trails were signed as closed to full-size rigs right at that landing where the trail splits. I know there were some folks working on that though, so maybe it's changed.

Best check with Tooele County before heading up there. The last time I was up there, the Jacob City trails were signed as closed to full-size rigs right at that landing where the trail splits. I know there were some folks working on that though, so maybe it's changed.

I appreciate the heads up and will make sure to find out ahead of time before heading up there! If anybody has any other ideas fire away! I know I read about the 9 mile trip which looks like it was a blast! Anybody ever been interested in a Wyoming trip? There are some pretty cool ghost towns out past Carter, but that is starting to push the distance envelope...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I appreciate the heads up and will make sure to find out ahead of time before heading up there! If anybody has any other ideas fire away! I know I read about the 9 mile trip which looks like it was a blast! Anybody ever been interested in a Wyoming trip? There are some pretty cool ghost towns out past Carter, but that is starting to push the distance envelope...

I need to check with the forest service about a few trails in the wasatch forest.

Anyone up for a meet one day? I've tried before, but people tend to bail last minute.... :(

My truck is ready for a few pics with other explorers :D
wheels1.jpg

Wouldn't it be nice to meet a few other Explorer enthusiasts??

Back