Utilize extended warranty for tranny? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Utilize extended warranty for tranny?

ponkotsu

Reaction score
City, State
Colorado Springs, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Lincoln Aviator
So I bought a used 2005 Aviator with 145,000 miles. It came with an extended warranty that covers up to $1k in repairs.

Occasionally the transmission shifts a little slow when its cold, but in general it's functioning pretty well. Took it to a tranny shop hoping to utilize my extended warranty. The guy says it's inevitable that it will need rebuilding because most likely the servo bores are worn. He verified that I can use the warranty.

The extended warranty expires in 200 miles. So I can get a still functioning transmission rebuilt right now for $1500 out of pocket. (This would be a complete rebuild including a new torque converter and solenoid pack) If I wait and it goes out, then I have to pay the full $2500.

Not really sure what to do. No way to know if the transmission is good for another month, or another 5 years. I don't even know if it's already been rebuilt or not. (I suspect it's original).

Money is a little tight now, but seems like it would be a good bet to just do it...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would go ahead and get the full rebuild on the trans and not have to worry about it for another 150K + miles. One little trick on keeping the transmissions alive and running well for 200,000 miles +, is to let the transmission "catch" the reverse or forward gear BEFORE you apply any accelerator pedal. It helps keep the pressure lower and puts less stress on the servos and valve bodies. Just an FYI for those who might be reading.

So I bought a used 2005 Aviator with 145,000 miles. It came with an extended warranty that covers up to $1k in repairs.

The extended warranty expires in 200 miles. So I can get a still functioning transmission rebuilt right now for $1500 out of pocket. (This would be a complete rebuild including a new torque converter and solenoid pack) If I wait and it goes out, then I have to pay the full $2500.

Not really sure what to do. No way to know if the transmission is good for another month, or another 5 years. I don't even know if it's already been rebuilt or not. (I suspect it's original).

Money is a little tight now, but seems like it would be a good bet to just do it...

$2500 seems a little high priced for a "rebuilt" tranny, but that depends on where you live. Personally if it were me and I plan on keeping the Explorer for a long time, I would use the warranty money ($1K) now along with your payment of $1500 and have it rebuilt, this way you know exactly where you are with the vehicles transmission. Also, find out the length of the warranty the tranny shop is giving you for that rebuilt transmission. Hopefully, it is 3 years instead of the standard 1 year or 12,000 miles warranty many shops give.

$2500 seems a little high priced for a "rebuilt" tranny, but that depends on where you live. Personally if it were me and I plan on keeping the Explorer for a long time, I would use the warranty money ($1K) now along with your payment of $1500 and have it rebuilt, this way you know exactly where you are with the vehicles transmission. Also, find out the length of the warranty the tranny shop is giving you for that rebuilt transmission. Hopefully, it is 3 years instead of the standard 1 year or 12,000 miles warranty many shops give.

Their normal warranty is 2 yr/24k. They made me a compromise. I have two options to reduce cost to $2k. a) Valve body not throwing any codes, so don't change it b) Reduce warranty to 1yr/12k and replace the valve body.

The shop has a great reputation so I'm thinking its a safe bet to take the 12k warranty and save $500. They'll be doing the exact same job as with the 24k warranty. I could change the valve body myself if it ever goes bad, but it's a PITA job.

And this does include sleeving the servo bores. He even showed me they have the correct tool for it.

Their normal warranty is 2 yr/24k. They made me a compromise. I have two options to reduce cost to $2k. a) Valve body not throwing any codes, so don't change it b) Reduce warranty to 1yr/12k and replace the valve body.

The shop has a great reputation so I'm thinking its a safe bet to take the 12k warranty and save $500. They'll be doing the exact same job as with the 24k warranty. I could change the valve body myself if it ever goes bad, but it's a PITA job.

And this does include sleeving the servo bores. He even showed me they have the correct tool for it.

A 2 year warranty is better than most, so not bad there. If you are getting it rebuilt, get the whole thing rebuilt, not just parts of it. Do it right the first time. I agree, go with choice (B) and have the valve body replaced and have a 1 year warranty as long as you trust this shops work. I am going on my 3rd year with a rebuilt tranny and it is running good and strong, no issues.

It kinda sucks to have to put a new transmission in a car I just bought, but then again, I more or less expected it. Getting it done for $1k is a no-brainer. Even with the new tranny, my total cost into this Aviator is less than $7k. Still a bargain for what I got.

Got it back today. Transmission shifts noticeably better now. Doesn't delay going into D and R like it did. Has a little whining sound at low speed, but I think that normal for a new transmission. They said there was nothing really bad, just worn out and near end of life. Hopefully good for another 150k.

Has a little whining sound at low speed, but I think that normal for a new transmission. .

Does the whining sound you hear, sound like a bad power steering pump noise? If so, ask the shop if they installed a "new" tranny pump or re-used a used tranny pump for your rebuild. When I bought my Explorer it made a bad power steering pump kind of noise(whining pump), which was actually coming from a bad tranny pump and a bad tranny. The dealership tried a cheap fix first, which was do a fluid/filter change and change the tranny pump, which solved the whining noise I first heard. A week later, I had the truck back for a rebuilt tranny paid for by the dealership. The rebuilt tranny that I currently have did not make any kind of whining noise after getting it from the shop and hasn't to this day, 2 1/2 years later, so I don't think a newly rebuilt tranny should be making any kind of whining noises. I would ask the shop about it.

Does the whining sound you hear, sound like a bad power steering pump noise? If so, ask the shop if they installed a "new" tranny pump or re-used a used tranny pump for your rebuild. When I bought my Explorer it made a bad power steering pump kind of noise(whining pump), which was actually coming from a bad tranny pump and a bad tranny. The dealership tried a cheap fix first, which was do a fluid/filter change and change the tranny pump, which solved the whining noise I first heard. A week later, I had the truck back for a rebuilt tranny paid for by the dealership. The rebuilt tranny that I currently have did not make any kind of whining noise after getting it from the shop and hasn't to this day, 2 1/2 years later, so I don't think a newly rebuilt tranny should be making any kind of whining noises. I would ask the shop about it.

Not nearly as loud as a steering pump. You have to turn off the radio and vent fan to hear it. Pretty low level. He told me to bring it back in a couple weeks for a routine check. I'll let him know about it then. I don't think they planned to change the pump unless it was bad. Seems like I've heard the same kind of noise on brand new vehicles until they break in. If it's a bad pump, I doubt it will last the 12 month warranty without getting worse, so not too worried yet.

Oh, and this is only at very slow speed. Disappears after about 20mph or so.

I was thinking about this. The noise is speed/acceleration dependent. Doesn't make any noise if I rev in neutral. So wouldn't that rule out the pump and point to a gear noise? Hopefully it will go away as the gears wear in?

I was thinking about this. The noise is speed/acceleration dependent. Doesn't make any noise if I rev in neutral. So wouldn't that rule out the pump and point to a gear noise? Hopefully it will go away as the gears wear in?

The bad transmission in my Explorer also had a speed/acceleration noise, it got louder the faster I went until the tranny fluid warmed up and then it quieted down. It was the middle of winter here when I bought it, temps just above or below zero at times and the tranny whined quite loud on cold start ups. It did make this noise in Park and Neutral as well.

After more careful observation, the noise changes pitch with engine speed in neutral and in drive. Definitely the pump or torque converter. I don't think they changed the pump, but they did install a reman torque converter. Most likely they got a bad TC. Might be a little fight getting them to change it because the noise isn't terrible. I've seen them go for a long time before failing.

After more careful observation, the noise changes pitch with engine speed in neutral and in drive. Definitely the pump or torque converter. I don't think they changed the pump, but they did install a reman torque converter. Most likely they got a bad TC. Might be a little fight getting them to change it because the noise isn't terrible. I've seen them go for a long time before failing.

You won't know about a fight from the shop until you tell them about the problem. The warranty you got from them with the tranny purchase is for issues like this. I'm not telling you what to do here, it's your vehicle and your decision, but if it were me and money was tight as you previously said, I'd be on the phone with them tomorrow morning. If you roll the dice and don't tell them about the unusual noise coming from the tranny and it craps out 12 + months from now, you will be on the hook for the full price of another rebuilt tranny. Good luck with the newly rebuilt transmission.

Back