V6 and a travel trailer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

V6 and a travel trailer

Purchased a 2016 explorer AWD V6 back in November and now we are small camper shopping. Ideally I would like a Jayco 154 or 174 bunk house. The 154 is about 2600 dry, 3400 wet, with the 174 about 400lbs more on both. I have the class 3 towing and a weight distribution hitch already, but I need to get a brake controller installed still....

I know I would be within the ratings of the explorer, but how difficult is this going to be to tow still? Anyone tow anything similar with the standard V6? I really don’t want a pop-up camper but may look at shorter options if absolutely necessary.

90% of my towing would be in the very flat Indiana/Michigan area if that helps, but I wouldn’t mind taking a trip to Tennessee or somewhere similar someday.

Just looking for input on this towing setup before I really start looking for a camper and end up going overboard. I’ll also gladly accept other camper recommendations....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did the hitch come installed on the Ex when it was new?

Did the hitch come installed on the Ex when it was new?
Yes it has the factory towing package. I ran the vin through that ford website I’ve seen posted on here before to check. It stated “class 3 towing” on it.

I think you’ll be fine with any of the ones mentioned. You’ll know it’s back there, but it won’t be unbearable.

For those size trailers, assume 800 lbs over dry weight, or your actual loaded weight (which is what you show as the Wet minus Dry weights).
Assuming up to 4000 lbs loaded, on 5000 lbs max tow rating, you will need to be sure whatever you put in the Explorer (passengers and cargo) will not exceed 1000 lbs. That should not be a problem, and most of your cargo will be included in that 800 lbs of stuff you put in the trailer. So it really comes down to passengers, and being such small campers, I'm betting you don't have more than 2 kids.

Your problem will be frontal area limit. Just be sure to look that up in the 2016 Ford Fleet Towing Guide. Most class 3 vehicles like this end up being limited to a high-wall popup. But look it up.

For those size trailers, assume 800 lbs over dry weight, or your actual loaded weight (which is what you show as the Wet minus Dry weights).
Assuming up to 4000 lbs loaded, on 5000 lbs max tow rating, you will need to be sure whatever you put in the Explorer (passengers and cargo) will not exceed 1000 lbs. That should not be a problem, and most of your cargo will be included in that 800 lbs of stuff you put in the trailer. So it really comes down to passengers, and being such small campers, I'm betting you don't have more than 2 kids.

Your problem will be frontal area limit. Just be sure to look that up in the 2016 Ford Fleet Towing Guide. Most class 3 vehicles like this end up being limited to a high-wall popup. But look it up.

Yeah I’ve done a bunch of reading on the frontal area recommendations, in the owners manual it has a 40 square feet limit, but the fwd explorer is limited to 20 square feet. I find that hard to believe, because even small trailers have more than 5x4 frontal areas.
I’m sure it would lower mpg if I was a few square feet outside of it, but frontal area also assumes that the trailer would be about 7x6.5 with a solid front wall, most campers have an angle to them.
They never factor in aerodynamics, or how close you are to max towing. They just put it as a “note” in the OM. Seems more like a CYA type thing. Most small travel trailers have some level of aerodynamics.

They also somehow limit the F150 to just 60 square feet, it’s pretty common to see an F150 hauling campers with a larger frontal area of just 7x8.
I just don’t get how it’s not listed as a “warning” instead of just a note. Most places don’t even mention it.

I have a 2018 Fwd 3.5 V6 with that factory class III towing package. Brake controller and weight distribution with sway bars installed at RV dealer.
Just bought a 2019 Viking 17bh dry weight 2900 took it about 65 miles with no problem.

Back