• Register Today It's free!

V6 Engine overheating.

Mechanic Me

Reaction score
City, State
Burlington, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer XLS 4X4
My 2004 V6 Explorer overheated last week, cracking the thermostat housing. So I replaced it with a new one, and also a new thermostat. I also ran flush through the cooling system, then flushed water through it until it ran out clear, then filled it with 2 gallons of concentrate antifreeze and the rest with water making it close to 50/50. I drove it on the highway for a bout 25 miles and it was still ok, then got home, let it cool down for the day and added a little more water to bring it up to the correct level. Yesterday I drove it on the highway for an hour and all of a sudden it overheated again, but no water was leaking out anywhere. So now I'm going to fill it with water again, turn the heater on full blast and limp it home. I'm thinking the radiator may have some clogged cores, or possibly the water pump may be the problem. I bought it two months ago with 165000 miles on it. Any ideas or thoughts are greatly appreciated.

If water is disappearing and there is none on the ground and you see no steam then it is most likely a head gasket.

If water is not disappearing and it gets hot then it's most likely the fan clutch.

Thank you Tech Guru .I did check the oil and it looked fine, just oil. And the fan clutch seems to have good resistance. I was able to get it home with no problems after adding some more water. I believe it may of had some pockets of air in it. I will check it again once it cools down. I may just take it to a radiator shop to do a flow test on it.

Did you high idle the car WITHOUT the pressure cap from cold to hot and then let it run a while after it is hot?

This is extremely important to do. It ensures to air bubbles in the system.

Back