V8 conversion- Is it legal? YES in California!!! as per B.A.R | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

V8 conversion- Is it legal? YES in California!!! as per B.A.R

asp84

Reaction score
City, State
Tempe, Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 V8 AWD Mounty
From all the reading and Searching I have done, it seems that a V8 explorer conversion can even be done in Strict California!! For example in California you have to
1.) Use an engine that is the same year or newer as your current vehicle.
2.) Keep original SMOG equipment
3.)Have it checked by a referee/smog station.$$

If a V8 Explorer can be created in California, it should be legal in Washington and Arizona. (the state I live in, and plan to move to)

Regardless, I still constantly hear concerns and disagreements such as
1.) That engine has to offered as an option for your car in the same year. For example, The V8 has to be an option for a 1992 Explorer. (which it isn't)
2.) It not legal to change the exhaust system and cat converters.
3.) You cant do that, it's illegal to do your own engine swap.

Anyway....If what I read is true, I can put a 1992+ V8 in to my 1992 V6 Explorer as long as I retain orignal smog equipment and pass emissions. Right!!?????

Here is a good link that addresses California's engine Change laws.
Dead Link Removed

!!!!** Anyone who has done a V8 conversion, please reply with your experience with emission laws!!!!!
-What state?
-What problems or extra measures did you take to deal with your states emission laws?? :) :)

Thanks,
Al Seybold
asp84@earthlink.net

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

According to the info I have seen it is legal to swap a V8 into your X. It is true that the law requires the engine to be an option for that vehicle, but it also states that it must be an option for that model year or newer, as long as it maintains the emissions equiptment for the model year of the engine. Meaning you can put a 5.0L from a later X into your '92, providing you maintain all the emission equiptment fromthe doner X. The safest way to do this is to buy a wrecked late model and obtain a dismanteling permit for it. Then when you complete the swap take your X and the dismanteling permit to a "referee" and have the vehicle inspected and certified legal.

How do the emission people tell if you have a 1990 0r 1992 V8?? is their some tag on your engine that tells when it was manufactured? (block casting #??)

Yes you can swap the V8 in. My neighbor has a CJ7 with a 350. He got all the paperwork and trashed the idea of registering it. I guess the red tape can be very difficult and you must have all the orig. smog equipment from the donor vehicle, which he didn't have. Make sure you get all info. from DMV before you start. Good luck.

Originally posted by asp84
How do the emission people tell if you have a 1990 0r 1992 V8?? is their some tag on your engine that tells when it was manufactured? (block casting #??)

Yes. they determine the year of the engine by the block casting #'s.

Back