Dual outlet exhaust....is it legal? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dual outlet exhaust....is it legal?

Jornum1

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Clifton, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Sport 4x4 SOHC
Ok I should be getting my Borla muffler either tomorrow or thurs. Now I want to replace the whole cat back. Unfortunatly, I have heard many people say, and from my own investigation, there is no cat back system for a '99 sport SOHC yet. So I am going to have it custom bent. I wanted to do a Y pipe adapter, and have a dummy dual exhaust. I was going to go with 2.5 inch piping. will this work ok? Is it leagal? I live in Jersey. Will it effect performance? I like the look, but I dont want to sacrifce performace. I also would like to pass inspection :) Any info is appreciated, thanks in advance.
Jason

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Passing inspection in Jersey is hard enough. AS far as if it is legal with the cops...I was an intern, and on one of my boring days I read ALL of the Motor Vehicle Handbook yes it does have a specific name but the name just sliped my mind. A cop CAN pull you over for having any modification done to your truck!!! However the odds are VERY SLIM. You will get pulled over in a heart beat if they think your exhust is to loud. In my internship we did NOT pull anyone over and I heard some what I would call LOUD exhust systems. Basically that law, part of Title 3C is there if it is danger to people...example...mufler hangin down creating sparks.
A hint to you guys...If a cop wants to stop you they CAN and WILL find a reason to!!!

------------------
Nick
'93 XLT 4 Door 4x4
Bosch Plat+4's with SplitFire Dual Core wires and a
K&N Air Filter with a Modified Air Box

Journum,

Why do you want dual exhaust? Power? Sound?
If it is either of those dual is not the way to go. I have a single exhaust outlet from a Flowmaster. Many people have advised me that dual exhaust will lose hp. I can say that i have the Loudest ford explorer in my county, which has probably 250,000 people in it. If you dont know about local laws, then just stay with one outlet. Im not sure, but i think the sniffer test is harder on your car if it has dual exhaust. I like my single outlet just fine. Just my .02

Tony 91 Sport

I dont want to put two mufflers, just a Y connector after the muffler to just have the look of a dual outlet. Thats all I want. I know it wont help power or make it lounder, I just want it for the look. I think trucks look great with a dual outlet exhaust. Makes it look more muscular. I guess my mail questions were, will I lose back pressure, and therefor lose power by doing this. My common sense says no, because it is after the muffler, but I dont have any experience with this? Does anyone here? And I suppose about the legality of it, I have a few friends that are cops, I will just have to ask them. But thanks guys, I appreciate your help. If anyone else can enlighten me on this, I would be very greatful. Thanks everyone.
Jason

I went to a shop in Chicago and they installed a Dynomax muffler that has duel outlets. They custom bent some 2 inch pipe and ran it out both sides of the rear. And finished them off with 3 inch chrome tips. It looks awesome and sounds very nice. I say go for it. Just make sure you don't go to large on the tail pipe or you will lose back pressure.

------------------
Rock'n 97 Sport 4X4

Hey Jornum, If all you want is the look then why not just have a pipe welded onto the tail pipe without the y-connector? Of course no exhasut would come out of the other pipe, but since its just the looks your after, that would give you the looks.

Nah I dont think I would want to do that. I figure nobody would probably notice most of the time. but in the winter, it would look funny with exhaust only coming out one side. I think I would rather have it done right, and spend the extra cash. From the info people are giving me, it seems that I will be ok as long as I dont go crazy and put like 3" tailpipes on. I will probably to with 2" or 2 1/4 I figure that will be ok. I will ask the muffler shop when I get it done. It wont be for a month or so. I will let everyone know how it works out.
Jason

------------------
'99 Sport SOHC Auto
K&N filter, Air box mod
Bosch 4+'s, Lowered, Eldebrock shocks

rock883,

You definitely don't want to put on a fake tail pipe. It may look good at first but over time (and not much time at that) your "real" tail pipe will tarnish with exhaust and your "fake" tail pipe will still be shiny and new on the inside. You won't fool anybody. And like Jornum1 said, winter will be a dead giveaway. Do it right the first time and you'll be much happier. If you need to, hold off a few months and save the money to do it.

Just my two cents.

------------------
Rock'n 97 Sport 4X4

Back