V8 vs V6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

V8 vs V6

well, I guess you guys are right. It wouldn't be worth swaping my SOHC V6 for a 4.6 V8. The reason I don't trade my 2000 in is because I really dislike the new 2002 bodystyle. I think the new Explorers are boxier and ugly and I'm really happy with my 2000. I just wish it had more power. I've never driven a 5.0 V8 Explorer, is there a big difference in performance compared to my SOHC V6? The horse-power is almost the same: 210 in the 6 vs the 215 of the 8. I could try using an OHV 5.0 V8 but wouldn't it still be complicated to convert? Would I be able to keep my 5-speed automatic tranny?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

heres a suggestion...instead of going for the 4.6L v8....think about the 302. Its a bulletproof torque monster. Im sure youd love it.

As far as the comparisons between the 4.0L v6 and the 5.0L v8...
Lets take a look @ the 1997 models:
HP for 4.0L v6 sohc: 205
HP for 4.9L v8: 211

Torque for 4.0L v6 sohc: 240
Torque for 4.0L v8: 274

as you can see here.....the v8 outshoots the v6 in these categories...but lets take a look at the 0-60 times:

4.0L v6 sohc: 8.1 seconds
4.9L v8: 8.8 seconds

So it looks like the 5.0L v8 cranks out more HP and torque....but the v6 SOHC cranks out a slightly better 0-60 time. I drive the SOHC and love it to death.
just my 2 cents ;)

good luck

You need to also state at what RPM these motors make their power.

The SOHC and the new 4.6L make all over their power in the upper RPMs.

So if you are looking for a TQ monster the OHV 4.0L and 5.0L would be much better from a build up point of view.

SanDiegoExplr is right, The stock sohc will beat the stock 5.0 to 60mph every time. Love mine too. However, you can mod the 5.0 into next month while mods to the sohc are very limited(hey, its hot for a factory V6!). Your 5-speed auto will not fit the 5.0. Making the explorer faster than what the good lord intended can quickly become obscenely expensive. Ever thought of buying an old mustang and making it rock?

Originally posted by mosinman
SanDiegoExplr is right, The stock sohc will beat the stock 5.0 to 60mph every time. Love mine too. However, you can mod the 5.0 into next month while mods to the sohc are very limited(hey, its hot for a factory V6!). Your 5-speed auto will not fit the 5.0. Making the explorer faster than what the good lord intended can quickly become obscenely expensive. Ever thought of buying an old mustang and making it rock?
I don't beleive it. I have driven both and if they are equally equipped (i.e. same drivetrain, gearing, trim package), the V8 would outrun the SOHC 6.

Yea, I know, but its true. Even Ford says so. Check it out. Of course, individual EXs can and do vary from the norm.

Well I think the info that everyone quotes from is a little inaccurate. I beleive the SOHC time is from a sport with 4.10's and the v8 time is a 4-door with 3.73's. Atleast that's what I remember about when those times first came out

JASON25, was pretty sure info I got was for 1999 4-door sohc vs. 5.0. Even if not, the fact the sohc beats the 5.0 in any trim shows how highly tuned the sohc is(for a factory V6), and how undertuned the 5.0 is.

true. but the matter of modification should be a big deal in swaps too. Like previously stated, the 5.0 is an INCREDIBLY moddable engine. Its really easy to find stuff for it...and faily cheap at that. I think its just a matter of preferance. Whats your driving style? Do you prefer high end horses or low end torque?

The biggest problem with the Explorer V8 is the computer. That thing is so laboured down with emissions protocols that I am surprised the engine will even run. If you put an older Mustang computer (an '90 EEC-IV for instance ) that engine would walk all over an SOHC. I drove a friends 5.0L X and didn't think it was too powerful, then I got my conversion done to see the difference. My truck with a bone stock '93 Cougar 5.0L would walk the factory 5.0L X. If your looking for more power you also have to consider the emissions controls and how they affect the output power of the engine.

I test drove a V8 and I have driven a sohc before and the v8 definately seemed like it had a little more power. I guess the torque and the loudness of the engine when i stomped it really made a difference. Both engines are great, but for hauling I would go with a v8.

i have a friend with a '98 v8 ex and i race him a lot.
on flat ground my sohc dusts him....but if were racing uphill im history

Everything above sounds right ......

Here are my 3 most important questions:
1) How and where do you plan on driving the vehicle? 2) Where do you need / want the power?
3) Do you like to tinker with your vehicle (make all those nice little modifications over time), or do you just take it to a shop for any repairs?

Ford powerplants in general:
Ford has done a pretty good job in the performance area. The industry and Ford has changed a lot. Ford is going kind of full circle. They used to make a limited set of engines and adapted them to different applications (vehicles). For the last 25 - 30 years however they made a variety of different engines unique to specific applications - The cologne 60 degree V6 being one of these series. The result is that there were never enough of these to unique power plants to provide a viable market for the after-market manufacturers to produce performance parts. Many tried, but it just didn't work.

The old standby power plants such as the 302 and 351 have been around for a long time, have changed very little. The number of vehicles with these engines is very large including bith cars and trucks. The result bing an aftermarket that could thrive producing performance parts.

Today Ford is going back to these roots, mostly for manufacturing efficiency, and building the "modular" engines. These engines will displace all the "unique" power plants such as the OHV and SOHC V6 we have in our Explorers. There are already a host of performance parts for the new modular engines.

You will NEVER see a real performance after market for these engines. There simply are not enough of them. Fortunately they were designed very well and stand on their own. But, this is not very satisfactory for those of us that like to "tinker".

If you want reasonable performance, off the shelf. You don't want to tinker very much - maby CAT back exhaust, MAF, chip then the V6 is a great engine. There are also some SuperCharger applications for those of you that want to really boost high end HP - excellent on the street.

If you want to tinker with your car and build a specific kind of power curve for the track or the trail, and need a choice of parts such as cams, lifters, pistons, intake and exhgaust manifolds as wellas all the other good stuff then you can't beat a 302 (5.0), or the new modular engines.

By the way...
I still expect that the SOHC V6 will beat my 5.0 on the street and on the track. Put us on a hill or on the trail and things change. Also, because you make a bunch of mods to your engine doesn't mean you automatically get performance. I have seen many people make the wrong choices, or do inferior work and lose performance instead of gain it.

Back