Vacation trip mileage report on our 2013 Exp LTD | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Vacation trip mileage report on our 2013 Exp LTD

amascio

Reaction score
City, State
Houston
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Limited FWD
The wife and I took her 2013 Explorer Limited FWD from Humble, Texas to our vacation home in Bisbee, Arizona. I thought it might be interesting to see what kind of mileage these things get when under the whip so I kept track of the miles and gas.

Going from East Texas to Southeast Arizona involves a constant climb, like from basically sea lever to 5800 feet altitude at the cottage in Bisbee. Along the way, especially from Kerrville to Fort Stockton, Texas, the grades are up and down but you are actually climbing the whole way; things finally settle down from Fort Stockton on, as the road stops the whoop de doos and just climbs steady and gradually. Also, the speed limit from Kerrville to El Paso is 80 mph, which we did, and much more. At one point we saw 105 mph while passing but we basically kept the speed between 80 and 90. And there was the ever constant wind; it seems to always blow from the south and at times it was ridiculous - I'd say gusts to 30 or better. There are wind mill farms along the way and they were having no problem supporting the electric grid when we passed through...

So with all that said, starting out with 5137 miles on the clock we left Houston with a full tank. We gassed up in Kerrville with 5423 miles and took on 13.7 gallons of gas. Miles traveled: 286, MPG =20.8

From Kerrville to Fort Stockton we recorded 5672 on the clock for a total of 249 miles, taking 13.9 gallons of gas which equals 17.9 MPG. Lots of climbing and wind and then there's those 80+ mph speeds......

From Fort Stockton we went to Las Cruces, New Mexico, pitted for gas with the odo showing 5953 for 281 miles, taking 12.6 gallons of gas which equals 22.3 mpg.

We did a short blast from Las Cruces to Lordsburg NM, the odo showing 6070 for a total of 117 miles and used 5.5 gallons of gas for an mpg of 21.2.

The gas up at Lordsburg NM took us into Bisbee and also took care of all the driving we did during the week we were there. Its a small town but in very hilly terrain. So this fill up took us from Lordsburg to Bisbee and back to Douglas AZ before we had to visit a gas station for the start of the trip home. The odo showed 6328, for a total of 258 miles using 12.1 gallons of gas which figures out to be 21.3 mpg.

Douglas AZ to El Paso TX had the odo showing 6569 for 241 miles and gas consumption being 10.3 gallons for 23.4 mpg.

El Paso to Fort Stockton had the odo showing 6817 for 248 miles traveled and 10.3 gallons burned in the process. MPG = 24.0

Fort Stockton to Kerrville found the odo at 7066 for 249 miles traveled and 13.1 gallons of gas used. MPG =19.0, Notice that going out Kerrville to Fort Stockton yielded 17.9 mpgs, while coming back Fort Stockton to Kerrville (exact same distance ) winds up being 19.0 mpg.

And finally, Kerrville to Houston left us with an odo that had 7350 on it and the last tank took 14.1 gallons for a final leg mpg of 20.1.

If my math is correct (and I'm not a mathematics genius) we traveled a total of 2213 miles and used 105.6 gallons of gas for a "whole trip" mpg of 20.95

Notes on the trip: Going out, the Exp had all of our stuff necessary for travel and a piece of furniture that just barely fit in it with all the rear seats down. Coming back, it was just us and our travel stuff.

The car was a joy to drive on this trip - its first time out. It has plenty of power and handles high speed travel with ease. Handling is secure and the brakes are top notch. It is quiet and comfy and knocking out 750 miles in it at a time is no problem at all. Hanging around the various internet forums would have one thinking the car would self destruct half way through the trip. In our case the exact opposite happened : the car performed flawlessly and got excellent gas mileage in the process.

My wife loves her new Explorer! It's a keeper!

Cheers!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

cliff notes version? what was the final mileage? too much to read LOL

nevermind saw the 20.95 MPG. not bad.

On my Sport, wife and I took it to the bay area and back (including 2 summits) and averaged 22.1MPG. 2013 Sport 4wd. Stock everything. 886 miles on the odometer now.

When did any of you notice your mileage settle into your final MPG.
I have 3000 miles and just took a 300 mile drive across state average MPG 18
It's in Fla. so flat drive,speed was 80 mph
2013 explorer limited

On most gasoline-engine cars, it can take anywhere from 5000 to 35000 miles. On my GTO, I got the BEST MPG between 35000 and 80000 miles. After 80k it started dropping off slightly to the pre-35k mile averages.

I suspect the 4wd Explorer's will have a substantial break-in period because of all the extra moving parts... and possibly even more so on 3.5 Ecoboost Ex's because of the advanced engine. I am not expecting peak MPGs until around 20k and above.

13 TuxedoSport: I wanted her to buy the Sport but she didn't like the color combos the Sport models had (WHAT! Pass on a turbo'd mill because of color??!!). The truck she traded in was an '11 Platinum Ecoboost 4x4; you'd think she'd know the joy of boost! even without the turbo, the car runs well enough.

Express: We've owned 4 new Fords since 2009 and everyone of them has been very tight. My EB FX4 has just started to really loosen up at 37k and the mileage on it is good for a 4X4 truck (averaging 17.5 mpg). Give the old girl some time and it should get better.

The gas mileage in the EX was lots better than the last run there in the Platinum!

Cheers all!

Thanks for the trip milage info. We are planning to start our travels this spring and appreciate your experience.
One of these days we will be heading along a similar route as yours so your info will be very useful to compare.

Back