Vacuum Pressure Question | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Vacuum Pressure Question

perform more testing

I suggest you perform more testing before swapping the engine.

Was the throttle plate wide open when you checked the compression?

Did you let the engine rotate long enough for five compression strokes on the cylinder being checked?

Did the engine overheat before the rebuild? How did you determine that both head gaskets were blown?

You mentioned that the original exhaust manifold ports did not match the head ports and that the heads were ported and polished. If the head exhaust ports were enlarged then they wouldn't match the exhaust manifold ports. If the original manifolds would not bolt to the heads that indicates that the heads, manifolds, or both were warped. A reputable shop should have checked the heads for cracks and warp before porting and polishing them. Milling severely warped heads to make them flat may not be adequate because the combustion chambers might have different volumes. That would result in different compression ratios and imbalanced power pulses.

Normally an SOHC V6 with less than 200K miles should not need boring and oversize pistons for good compression. If your compression test results are accurate, I suspect the problem is incorrect camshaft timing or leaking compression chambers (improper piston ring installation, warped heads, valves not seating, etc).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I suggest you perform more testing before swapping the engine.

Was the throttle plate wide open when you checked the compression?

Did you let the engine rotate long enough for five compression strokes on the cylinder being checked?

Did the engine overheat before the rebuild? How did you determine that both head gaskets were blown?

You mentioned that the original exhaust manifold ports did not match the head ports and that the heads were ported and polished. If the head exhaust ports were enlarged then they wouldn't match the exhaust manifold ports. If the original manifolds would not bolt to the heads that indicates that the heads, manifolds, or both were warped. A reputable shop should have checked the heads for cracks and warp before porting and polishing them. Milling severely warped heads to make them flat may not be adequate because the combustion chambers might have different volumes. That would result in different compression ratios and imbalanced power pulses.

Normally an SOHC V6 with less than 200K miles should not need boring and oversize pistons for good compression. If your compression test results are accurate, I suspect the problem is incorrect camshaft timing or leaking compression chambers (improper piston ring installation, warped heads, valves not seating, etc).

Well...Looks like a have a long day of testing ahead of me. All of this is fantastic information. I am off to it!
I will make sure the throttle is open this time. And yes the engine had overheated before the rebuild. These heads were off a 2004 ranger and the guy I purchased them from said they were ready for assembly with only 1000 miles on them.
I know my head gaskets were blown because of bubbling coolant and power loss, also think I was getting very slight amount of water in my oil and I was running very lean despite replacing O2 sensors, intake gaskets, fuel pump and filter, everything except the injectors.
Thank you so much.

Dry compression test results with open throttlebody:
Bank 1
#1 - 120psi
#2 - ZERO psi
#3 - 120psi

Bank 2
#4 100psi
#5 110psi
#6 110psi

Sooooo....Took the intake manifold off and cylinder #2 intake port is dirty as hell! I think I have a bad intake valve? I'm thinking about just pulling the heads and having the valves re-seated, do you think one poorly seated valve could cause this?

With a wet compression test I think the psi would be much closer to the 180 that I believe the engine is supposed to produce, but I dont have an oil can to get the oil in those cylinders. At least theyre all with in 10%.

1148774_3343439682889_1410692449_n.jpg

Found him! Bend exhaust valve in cylinder 2. Happened to the heads before they were mine and I didnt notice it when I installed them. I'm a dummy.

Heads goin to the machine shop tomorrow for resurfacing and full valve job.

Back