Valve Cover Gasket Help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Valve Cover Gasket Help

phintar

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Ford Explorer
Hello all,
I'm new to this forum and to owning an Explorer, but couldn't be happier! However I have a oil leak from my valve cover and it looks like it is going to be hell to get off and replace the gasket... I was wondering if anyone could help me out with what gasket kits I will need (besides the valve cover gasket kit ;)). I have a 1994 Ford Explorer 4x4 XLT... Hope this helps... Thanks ahead of time! :help:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi

I think only valve cover gaskets 1 per side is what you need.

Allways when i replace valve cover gaskest i clean surfaces very well and glue the new gasket. There is gasket glue on market (gasket maker is good, brush on cap)

Its good time also check if there is **** on valvetrains etc.

Many times there is pieces of old gaskets and oily crap etc what you can now clean.

And remember do not overtigh cover bolts.

I'd also suggest using higher grade rubber gaskets over the cheap and common cork variety. They don't require RTV to get them to seal like the cork ones do. Often times even when gooped, the cork ones won't seal all the way.

And yes, Like Karpov mentioned, don't over tighten the cover bolts.

Cool thanks! I just see a bunch of stuff I have to take off to get to the valve covers, so I thought that there might be another gasket I would need to put them back together...

And many times new gaskest "sweats" oil but they dry after a while.

In my cases and cork material.

Yep upper intake and fuel rail gaskets.

Can't get the valve covers off without pulling the upper intake. which also seals to the top of the fuel rail.

The upper and lower intake are a common problem for coolant, vacuum and oil leaks as well so now that your go'n in you may as well address that too.

Do a search for Upper/lower Intake and you will have plenty of info on what's involved and lots of good mistake avoidance tips and improvements to make while your in there.

The search box at the top of the page only searches this forum. Handy!

Back