• Register Today It's free!

Valve cover gasket replacement

Jrid82

Reaction score
City, State
Milan
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 explorer XLT
I'm replacing the valve cover gasket on my ex and I purchased Mahle brand metal and rubber gaskets. Do I need to use sealant, what type would be best for this gasket material, and to be sure there is no problems in the long run, exactly how should it be applied?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

At the solely rubber parts of the gasket? Sorry, I've only ever done rubber and cork on these...

A small dab of rtv where the heads meet the manifold in the corners is all I have ever done with those type of valve cover gaskets.
At the solely rubber parts of the gasket? Sorry, I've only ever done rubber and cork on these...

Sealant isn't really necessary for valve cover gaskets. That said, I use aviation form-a-gasket very, very, lightly brushed onto all cork & paper gasket surfaces. This helps to keep gaskets in place during install, and prevents the light weepy leaks that develop over time/use .
The mahle metal and rubber though, just install with no sealant.

A small dab of rtv where the heads meet the manifold in the corners is all I have ever done with those type of valve cover gaskets.
Agreed, it's also imperative to make sure the valve cover is flat, not warped. Some tapping with a bal peen hammer and a flat hard surface will be alright to level it back. Don't go crazy with the torque, wrist tight with a 1/4 ratchet is plenty.

Back