Vapor Canister Purge Valve | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Vapor Canister Purge Valve

Reaction score
City, State
North Dakota
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 sport 90k, 94 Xlt 157k
Hello everybody, does anyone know how to get to the VCPV? Would anyone have any pictures? If so, how would one get to it without taking the intake off? The vacuum line on the Purge Valve is not all the way on , and is causing a vacuum whine at certain speeds, and is especially louder when the engine is warmed up. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It will wiggle out without removing the intake, but takes some work. You will probably need to get some stuff out of the way like DPFE sensor/bracket, unplug manifold coolant temp sensor, and more. It can be done.

Be careful though. Stock setup has a plastic vapor line with rubber sheath, not just a regular rubber hose. If you yank on this stuff it can crack and break the plastic nipples off the purge valve. Then you'd need a new valve. The tubing is pretty tough so maybe your valve's fittings are already cracked.

On mine I removed mine roughly and broke both valve fittings. Then I went to the junkyard and got a replacement. I more gently removed that one and got it in one piece with all tubing intact. Turns out it's harder to get in than out. So I used new vacuum tubing (rated for fuel vapor) to replace the plastic-lined shaped tubing. To remove the old tubing from the valve fittings I used a dremel to cut the plastic tubing and relieve the tension, then slipped it off and clamped the new rubber tubing on. Routed it a different way where the valve and tubing won't be in such a hot area so it will last longer. The stock valve location has it in almost a stove-like area.

Thanks Arco777 for the reply, would it make sense if you can kinda hear it when its cold, but then gets louder when it warms up?

what happens to the engine after the system throws a code i can do this newer series trucks show that this can be cleaned successfully possible on 94?

my truck runs its best then throws a code the next time i fire it up it might run rough....
like its routine may have changed .........

were only talkin about the canister / vapor purge valve solonoid

Back