Verifying my thoughts on my planned tow rig | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Verifying my thoughts on my planned tow rig

I am two weeks into the ownership of a '98 XLT AWD 302 Auto (sorry, I can't do litres), LT235/75R15s. My plan is to use it to tow two different trailers a couple times per year. I have been reading through the threads in this section and want to see if I have the situation clearly.

I found the harness connector tucked up underneath the driver's side tail light, so no problem there. Although no hitch is currently present, my brother has found several in a j/y near his house (he knows the guys who run it). I want to make sure that I know the range of years that will fit: '95 to '01, correct?

I have verified the presense of the stock, secondary tranny cooler.

One of the trailers is a little boat rig for a 12' aluminum V-bottom. The other is an ex-mil 1/4-ton Jeep trailer, curb wieght 570 lbs. The boat rig is probably less than that even with the old Evinrude motor in the boat. The Jeep trailer will haul probably another 500 lbs of gear given our camping set up, with four people and a little more gear in the Ex. Wooden tent poles will ride on the rack on top.

According to my calcs, these figures are well below rated specs. I know to drive with the O/D off except in the most benign situations, which will probably be rare here in the Ozarks. Fortuantely, I have Jerry can racks on the tralier ;)

Any comments on the plan?

Sounds like a good plan to me..

You have the right years for a 2nd Gen and AFAIK all 2nd gens frames are the same so you should be good there (for the hitch).

The only thing I would add would be a transmission temp gauge or get a scangauge II thing which can pull the trans temp. Make sure you verify that it can get the trans temp on your year truck though.. I'm not 100% sure it can get it on your year. The scangauge will get you other things like MPG (which you might need since you MPG when towing will be different than normal).

~Mark

I pulled a hitch off of a first gen out of a j/y and the frame was the same and mounted right up to my 97 Mountaineer.

Back