Very LOUD rattle from the top of my engine. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Very LOUD rattle from the top of my engine.

stangsvt0427

Reaction score
City, State
Ocala, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Explorer SOHC
Ok well I replaced my timing chain tensioners and my truck only made the noise when I first started it. Today I went out to start my truck and it is louder than ever and constant. Its coming from the top of my engine now. Before it was only a little rattle from the lower. Now its bad. My truck still starts, drives, accelerates, and runs fine. It is very loud though and im worried my chain is just going to break. If that is the problem? Anyone have any suggestions? I Just moved to Florida and start my new job so im broke. Any suggestions will be great.

97 Explorer SOHC 4.0 XLT
Thank you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

welcome stang

Thank You! Just a little update. Ok last night before I went to bed I went out to start my truck to try to hear closer where its coming from and it wasnt doing it as bad. It was a lot colder outside. Im wondering if my oil was thicker from the colder air and maybe helped. Im going to change my oil today and put in something thicker. Ill keep everyone updated by suggestions would be great. Why would the colder air make it quieter?

Thanks

Guides not tensioners

I've been going thru the same situation and have concluded that most of my chain rattle is coming from the partially destroyed chain guides and not because of weak chain tensioners. I replaced the upper front tensioner and installed the restrictor with little change in the chain noise. I have almost 152,000 miles on the odometer and plan to remove the valve covers in the near future to see how much damage I can see. I'm hoping that the rear chain guide doesn't need replacement because it is the most difficult (involves pulling the engine or the transmission).

Well I just put my truck on a lift and listened to it today. Sounds worse under the truck. Now im leaning towards bearing or rod. Im so screwed

Put the vehicle up in the air and put your hand on the starter and where the flywheel is and see if you can feel anything. I went through this and it ended up being the return spring on the starter broke and when the flywheel turnd the teeth were rubbing on the end of the starter

I will try that. Thank you very much. I hope thats the problem. Ill keep everyone updated and thank you for the help!

Also was it loud? Loud to the point where it sounded like it could have been a bearing? This seems to change when I accelerate and decelerate. But it is noisy. There is no change in the performance at all. My truck still starts and runs great. Its just that loud noise.

EDIT: I also think I may feel it slightly on the floor while driving. I feel a vibration sometimes.

It sounds just like what mine did. It sounded like the motor was going to explode, lol....

The funny part is when mine started doing it, I stopped at a gas station with the hood up feeling the engine as I couldn't pinpoint it. An elderly man walked over and I told him I think my engine was going to crap. He laughed and told me exactly what it was. I didn't have a clue what was going on. It's a real loud even metalic sound that sounded like it was everywhere.

How old is your starter?

Yeah it is loud everywhere. Im honestly not too sure. I only had the truck for two years and never touched the starter. It could be factory for all I know. Im going to take a look hopefully today. Thanks again!!!!

Well I still haven't had the time to really get to work on my truck. I did listen to it and it is coming from the bell housing. It almost sounds like a flywheel bolt may have come out and is smacking around in there. What ever the noise is its the loudest on the opposite side of the starter. And it is coming from the bell housing. Lets hope its the starter spring like you said because I dont want to have to pull this tranny. Ill keep everyone updated on the solution.

Thanks!

Well still at it with my truck. About 5 different Techs and still no solid answer. Im not a tech but my guess is that rear chain. They disagree but I'm going with my gut feeling lol. Im going to pull the motor and just put one in with less miles on it. Rip my motor apart and see what really is going on inside of there. Ill keep everyone posted with my findings.

Did they pull the starter and check it?

I found someone who is going to put a scope inside my motor to see. I hear a noise coming from the top of my motor now though. They are saying its not a lifter but rear timing chain. Im getting a true diag done this week. Havent had a chance to pull my starter though : (

Primary tensioner fail

Mate I'm 99% sure its your primary tensioner. Very typical prob (lots of pics of failed one's on here). You will get rattle from your completely broken left cassette but when the primary tensioner goes its LOUD.

This happened to me a couple of weeks ago and have mine stripped down waiting for parts

I drove 300k's to get home with no probs but after pulling the timing cover I am astounded I did. There are pieces of metal that look like shims (3) as well as broken plastic, i found one laying between one of the chains, if it had of caught in the sprocket good bye pistons and valves.

My advise DO NOT start it again Pull the timing cover and all will be revealed

Well I have been driving my truck around like this for over a month and no difference in any way. Im dropping it off at a shop and they are gonna put a scope in my motor to look at it.

Ok well the day before I was supposed to drop my truck off at the shop my motor went. I was the rear timing chain guides all broken up and jammed up my chain. I put a motor in my truck and finally got it back. Starting to make some noise though so it looks like I gotta sell it or pull this motor out and replace the guides. Just sucks because I heard there is a special tool to set the timing in my truck that i dont have. Thanks for everyone's input though.

I have done the job without the tools and it wasn't hard.
Read 2000StreetRod's timing chain saga post for a detailed guide on how to do the job without the timing tools.
There is plenty of help here if you get stuck.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back