• Register Today It's free!

Vibrating rear view mirror

gjw02

Reaction score
City, State
Metairie, La.
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 XLT
I bought a 2000 XLT with 38,500 miles the first of Feb. and have an auto dimming rear view mirror. The mirror also has the delay slide control for the auto head lights as well. When I am driving the rear view mirror tends to vibrate and the image is shaking. Has anybody else seen this and is there anything I can do to make the mirror steady? I haven't seen anything about this problem.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My 93 has often done that, it usually happens after readjusting the mirror. The mirror isn't extremely tight, and can vibrate. I think that the problem is that Ford went away from set screws to tighten the mirrors. Now they are a press fit. The mirror can be removed and installed without any tool.

I just remounted the light, normal mirror in my 91 Explorer. I had to pry the mirrir out of the mount, to reglue the mount plate. That mirror is now more loose than it used to be.

There is a piece of spring steel mounted in the mirror mounting base. I believe that piece of steel can be bent out of tension, resulting in a more loose mirror. Try to recrush that piece, carefully. I don't think that there is any other way to tighten that mirror. Be careful with it and the mirror. You don't want to have to buy a different mirror. Good luck,
Don

the only time my mirror vibrates are when the subs go bumpity bump bump

My dad's jeep use to have a mirror that wouldn't stay still. we ended up replacing the whole thing and now it doesn't move; except when you want it to. :thumbsup:

-Drew

i have a 99 and my mirror vibrates as well. however, it really only distortes (sp) the image when i am at highway speeds (60+)

Back