Vibration above 60 MPH '03 explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Vibration above 60 MPH '03 explorer

71rcode

Reaction score
City, State
Aurora, Co
Year, Model & Trim Level
none
I have a high speed and high frequency vibration above 60 MPH. Drive shaft has been balanced (high speed) by a reputable shop. Rear axle has been rebuilt. Had water in the oil and the gears were dead. Rear axle is quiet. Vibration goes away without the rear shaft installed. Do these have a common pinion angle issue as the IRS (cobra) mustangs?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi and welcome to the site 71rcode

sounds like a bad U joint

Update

Did you find out what the issue was? I have a similar problem, and am about to have the drive shaft replaced.

um, i think they mean CV joints? 2 CV joints per corner on a 3rd gen, the prop shafts i thought were also CV joints, i don't remember a u-joint down there, but i don't have the truck to check. Any up/down side/side play would indicate a bad joint. Some rotational play is OK.

71RCODE, I had a similar vibration that was solved by unbolting the rear drive shaft from the transfer case and turning it 180 degrees. There should be some factory yellow paint marking the drive shaft, transfer case, and diff yokes for re-assembly. In my case, the paint marks were not lined up. Vibration gone!!!! Cost me $7.00 for a Torx Socket.

vibration

I now own my 2nd explorer ( 98 xlt & now 03 sport trac). They both have the same vibration in them. The only thing they both have in common is Goodyear Wrangler RT/S tires. I have changed brake pads & rotors on both of them & had the tires on the sport trac balanced. Seems to me it should be the tires causing it. Any other suggestions?

Back