• Register Today It's free!

Vibration at 65....

olathe04si

Reaction score
City, State
Olathe, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Ford Explorer EB
I know this subject has been beat to death but I'm running out of ideas. I have a 94 EB 4x4 with 182k. The car begins to vibrate around 60 and i vibrates pretty hard at 65 until around 70 when it only lightly vibrates again. It does this both when I'm on the throttle and off it. I put the car in neutral and it still vibrates the same. So far I have checked/replaced:
Front wheel bearings - replaced
Ball Joints - replaced all 4
Rear driveshaft U-Joints - replaced
Tires - replaced
Tires balanced 3 separated times after the initial balance
Driveshaft checked for balance
I put the spare on all 4 corners and the problem still persists.
I was told by my friend/mechanic that my axles, shocks, and diff mounts are all good.

My passenger radius arm bushing is bad but I didn't think that could cause this let me know if I'm wrong there. I'm running out of money and patience and I'm sure I missed somethings simple. TIA

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A very common 1st gen problem. There really is no true fix. Some have fixed it by what you did some it still happens, some never get it.
How much time & $ do you want to throw into it?

I had 1 94 do it had another 94 not do it & my current X does it.

Well I drive 70+ highway miles 5 days a week and its just mostly irritating. I don't really want to put too much money into this thing considering I only paid 700 dollars for it. I threw a rod in my other daily driver in October and this was kind of just a quick replacement for the winter because my other car (Honda s2000) is kind of dangerous in any kind of bad weather. If its something I have to get used to I'll just deal with it through the winter and replace it with something else in the spring. I hope I can figure it out because I actually like the car. Do you have any other suggestions? I live close to a pick n pull and have several friends who help me with my car for beer.

I have a 94 and have the same issue as you. It starts around 60, gets worse and peeks at 65 and fades as I approach 70. I've tried everything as you have with limited results. It's annoying/frustrating...

I've made several phone calls this morning and an uncle of mine asked me if I checked the bearings in my pumpkin, which he said means differential? Anyone ever checked those or had that be the problem?

Well my 92 vibrated something horrible at 55-60. It came on around 50, vibrated bad at 55, faded out at 60. 65 no vibration.

Mine was a combination of a broken trans mount and replacing the u-joints F&R (mine's 2wd though, and a 5 speed). This fixed my vibration issue.

I know this don't help all that much but it's what I did to solve my vibration issue.

There's also a big weight bolted to the rear diff, or transfer case, Don't remember which but it was added to help the vibrations. But From what I remember there was no difference with it on or off. I unbolted mine just to save a little weight.

I put new shocks on my explorer and it took nearly all of the vibration away!

Thanks for all the input. I plan on tackling my radius arm bushings this weekend and I'll check those things out. I have plans of replacing the shocks soon because the previous owner/original purchaser of the car said that he replaced them once around 70k and that was 10 years ago.

vibration

My 91 had a out of round brake drum on the back. It did not show up until we tried to turn it and it was out of round something like .060" or better. I put a new one on that side and now I don't notice it now.

Also an obvious one people might miss; a power steering fluid level that is too low could cause vibrations, according to Haynes' manual...

My theory...
This seems to be a resonance problem. At that just right rpm/speed something harmonic happens & shakes the truck at that frequency. Finding what that is has been the problem.

I just finally finished up my RA bushings checked my Trans mounts and several other things mentioned here and still no luck. I'm going to be purchasing new shocks in the next couple of Weeks. One thing I noticed this morning on my drive home from work is that when I went from dry to wet pavement, the obnoxious vibration very noticeably decreased. I was hoping some of you gurus could maybe get something out of that. TIA

I know this is a long shot, but my brother has a 94 ex and he was complaining that his car was shaking kinda bad on the freeway. He thought it may have been the transmission so he took it in to have it looked at and the guy said his ex needed a tune up...got new wires and plugs and it stopped. idk just a thought if you haven't changed your plugs and wires in a long time.

I never drove with him to see what it was doing exactly.

The wheels are not hub centric. I wonder if the tires were ballanced on a machine where they bolted on to the balance machine would cure the problem

Back