Vibration from engine on cold mornings | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Vibration from engine on cold mornings

Reaction score
City, State
Tucson, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Limited
Hello I have a 1999 Ford Explorer Limited 5.0 V8 and since its been 35 degrees on average in the mornings, for some reason when I'm sitting at a stoplight the car vibrates hard and its only when the engine is cold. My truck has done this in the summer but the vibration was very very mild.

The vibration now is a course for concern. The vibration only happens when in drive, 1st and 2nd gear. If in park, I do not feel any vibration. I also noticed this morning that when in gear, there is a ticking noise I hear from inside the cabin, but once the engine warms up, its gone and idles perfectly. Any suggestions would help. If you need more details let me know. Thanks.

And on a side note, when I start up my truck in the morning I hear this thump from the engine and this has been happening for a while also, but the thump is a second after I start the truck up.

The vibration only happens when in drive, 1st and 2nd gear. If in park, I do not feel any vibration.

Does the vibration exist when in Drive, 1st, or 2nd while you are not moving? Or does it only happen when in those gears and moving.

I also noticed this morning that when in gear, there is a ticking noise I hear from inside the cabin, but once the engine warms up, its gone and idles perfectly.

When was the last time you changed your oil and what weight oil do you use? A slight ticking exhaust sometimes happens on the V8's because of an exhaust leak when the exhaust manifolds crack. More of an annoyance than anything else.

Does the vibration exist when in Drive, 1st, or 2nd while you are not moving? Or does it only happen when in those gears and moving.

The vibration exist when I'm at a stand still.

When was the last time you changed your oil and what weight oil do you use? A slight ticking exhaust sometimes happens on the V8's because of an exhaust leak when the exhaust manifolds crack. More of an annoyance than anything else.

I changed my oil sometime in June of this year and I'm almost at the 5,000 mark to change it again. Funny you mention the exhaust leak because on cold starts I see a leak from the passenger side of the truck and I was worried if I needed a new exhaust or not. BTW, how do I check for cracks in the exhaust manifolds?

Back