vibration while stopped | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

vibration while stopped

tursky4

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 explorer
I noticed the other day while driving around town with a lot of stops that the vehicle was vibrating when stopped at stop lights then no vibration while driving at speed even while on the highway with cruise on. the vibration is present only when in gear and stopped completely. the vibration goes away while in neutral and park. has anyone else had this issue and fixed it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I noticed the other day while driving around town with a lot of stops that the vehicle was vibrating when stopped at stop lights then no vibration while driving at speed even while on the highway with cruise on. the vibration is present only when in gear and stopped completely. the vibration goes away while in neutral and park. has anyone else had this issue and fixed it?

Yup. These are known for rough idling. Sometimes the Iac is the culprit... Sometimes it isn't. I am in your spot right now too. Mine just started vibrating. Gotta try to diagnose it when I get time

it did not throw any codes and after leaving church this afternoon it seemed to go away also the idle did not seem to fluctuate on the dash.. at least not that i could see.

also i am almost pleased to hear it has to do with the idle and not the trans because i know how these transmissions can be and i would much rather troubleshoot the idle problem rather than a trans problem.

Do you see the RPMs gauge surging while at stop with transmission in drive and break on? Mine was doing that but also Service engine light was blinking rapidly. I had misfire codes and changing spark plugs and cleaning COP and boots cleared my issue. Although I still have to determine if I was having leaking coolant from intake that caused spark plug issues.

i did not see surging rpms at the gauge nor did i get any check engine lights.. have not hooked up to a scanner yet but it might not be a bad idea to change the plugs and wires as i dont think they have been changed yet and its pushing 108,000 i purchased with 95,000 it sure cant hurt anyway. i also have the 4.0 not the 4.6

the issue seems to have gone away... x is driving great again. hopefully it doesnt return any time soon..

well something must have been in the air saturday then...

well something must have been in the air saturday then...

Possibly you never know!

What's funny though is yesterday I started it up and I heard a loud knocking sound.. At first I thought my engine was toast but then I realized it was coming from the back. I figured one of my new exhaust pieces came apart..
Nope.
There was ice that formed above the tail pipe and when the tail pipe moved from the engine being started it was banging on the ice. Really weird!

Possibly you never know!

What's funny though is yesterday I started it up and I heard a loud knocking sound.. At first I thought my engine was toast but then I realized it was coming from the back. I figured one of my new exhaust pieces came apart..
Nope.
There was ice that formed above the tail pipe and when the tail pipe moved from the engine being started it was banging on the ice. Really weird!

that is weird.... never know that could have happened to the IAC could have had a piece of ice or something stuck in it.. all i know is this damn winter needs to go away... every time i wash her it snows again and that nasty black road crap covers her...

that is weird.... never know that could have happened to the IAC could have had a piece of ice or something stuck in it.. all i know is this damn winter needs to go away... every time i wash her it snows again and that nasty black road crap covers her...

I'm with you. I want to ride my motorcycle!!!

Back